Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysian? busy Batiks

Power Poster
    Goegeous fabric! Please show us what you make!

i'd wear them.
    sweatshirt jackets? wonderful bags?

home decor?
    table linen - tablecloths, placemats, napkins. window treatments. cushions.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful fabrics, what ever you decide to make with your collection, we all know it's going to be beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teri295
    When traveling I tend to buy fabrics....and have a ton of very busy sarong/type batiks from Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. I have seen individual prints made into table napkins (beaded) - this fabric BEGS for beading!, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas out there with to do with all these individual printed 1-2 yard pieces. Is there a quilt I can make that would do these justice?
    The fabrics themselves are really lovely, so as not to make a quilt that is too "busy" pick out a colour in the batik then use a solid colour to accentuate the pattern , you will only need three fabrics in all.

Am thinking a Snowball Quilt would show off the fabrics; they are beautiful!

Sorry - I have a similar collection - still sitting there for a few years now...

On pages 92 and 93 of the new Vol. 55 Handcocks catalog, there is a pattern called 'Counterpoint'. They are not selling the pattern in the catalog, but I found the site on the net. Search for Kari Nichols and Counterpoint, and you should get there, after a little searching. I did find the pattern there (did not bookmark it) , and it seems it would be fabulous for your Malaysian? Batiks.

Ouch! I would have a veeeeerrrry hard time cutting into any one of those! WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by teri295
    When traveling I tend to buy fabrics....and have a ton of very busy sarong/type batiks from Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. I have seen individual prints made into table napkins (beaded) - this fabric BEGS for beading!, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas out there with to do with all these individual printed 1-2 yard pieces. Is there a quilt I can make that would do these justice?
    Wish I had that fabric to make a spiral lonestar quilt for my queen sized bed.

spiral lonestar quilt center
    Name:  Attachment-196050.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  58.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Here is another one. I think very up to date type of pattern and hip. LOL This might work well with the scraps from all the different batiks.

http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/p/dot-party.html

You have so much fabric you can probably make several beautiful quilts.

You might also take a peek at some of her other patterns.
    Love these.

Blog Entries
    I would use a pattern often made for showcasing large Asian prints. Keepsake catalog often has one or two as does Asian Magazine. I can see it paired with black and or gold. Would also make an awesome jacket.

Such vibrant colors, such beautiful fabric. do you really want to cut it up? May be interesting om kaleidoscope?

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    They will really sparkle with beaading!

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous fabric

I have the same problem, during my travels I too have picked up fabrics from all over...I was thinking of doing Trip round the World as it literally is a way of documenting my travels.....was upset at a recent trip to Hondouras I couldnt find any fabric even a sarong that was made there they were all from China or India...would love to se what you come up with....I have a piece of fabric from Malaysia that I've had for nearly 25 years, its too beautiful to cut up till I'm absolutely sure how it would work best.....have fun

How about New York Beauty? It is a paper pieced pattern,but lends itself to this type of fabric. I am jealous!!

Most of the Asian batiks (Malaysian, Indonesian, Thai) are meant to be worn as skirts or scarves. They are worn in a certain way, in which the patterns are displayed to their full advantage.
    If you want to use them for quilt, maybe just have a medallion style, with the main pattern as the center and then use complimentary colors to surround them.

Mona Lisa - why don't you send me your breathtakingly beautiful spiral lonestar center and I'll be more than happy to accentuate it with some of those gorgeous fabrics I have....then I'll just keep it, okay? :!: :D

So many great ideas! Erica's has that Counterpoint pattern, it's lovely: http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/misc2.htm

Stunning!..However I am still considered a newbie at quilting I wouldn't know the best way to use them..I can't stop looking at them..thank you for sharing..Please post again and let us all see what you did with them..

Two of the prints could be used as border fabrics and then any design that you like with you using the colors in the border. in the body of the quilt.I have made a lot of quilts starting with the border not always was the binding the same fabric.

I just did a search on the New York Beauty (gorgeous, by the way). Is this a variation of the Montana Cartwheel? I have been wanting to do a Montana Cartwheel for several years and was wondering about that particular pattern. If I remember correctly however, there is alot of fabric waste when paper piecing that. With these gorgeous fabrics, I would be sad to lose small pieces to the wastecan.

Do a large dresden plate with each piece possibly on a black background, then sash with a gold. They are just beautiful pieces of fabric and what a wonderful story you will have to tell when they come together in a quilt.What fun!!!
    Brenda

I think s couple of them are just screaming out to be made into purses -- with lots and lots of beads, of course!

There are several books: Big Print quilts, Nine patch Pizzazz, maybe use for One Block wonders.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast