Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Malaysian? busy Batiks

Just took another look at your fabrics and the above pattern idea. The strip piecing background could be of batik strip or tone-on-tones with the Asian shape highlighted by them. You could even use several of your fabrics with similar colors in the same quilt.

Just thinking??!!

Quote Originally Posted by teri295
    When traveling I tend to buy fabrics....and have a ton of very busy sarong/type batiks from Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. I have seen individual prints made into table napkins (beaded) - this fabric BEGS for beading!, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas out there with to do with all these individual printed 1-2 yard pieces. Is there a quilt I can make that would do these justice?
    Solid Ohio stars alternated with squares of the same fabric?
    If you don't have enough printed fabric, use plain colors to make either the Ohio stars or the alternating blocks....
    At least it might be a start?

I saw this picture and had such a happy memory! I have the exact same fabric as the two in the foreground, purchased in Bali, 1998. It too took me forever to use them, as I 'needed' to save them. I finally used them (and several others)as solid arches in an appliqued Dould Wedding Ring wallhanging, against a sage green background. There were nine rings, and I called it Balinese Rings. It was given to a friend, I'll have to see if she can send me a picture.

I'm so glad to read all the suggestions because we also have a "stash" of Malaysian Batiks gifts from my husband while he was traveling in the Asian Rim years ago. I've used several pieces for backs on quilts allowing me to keep the patterns intact, creating a two sided quilt - pieced on one side & whole cloth on the flip side.

I brought back some traditional batiks when I returned from my latest trip to Bali (in March), which are similar to these. I think patterns with large pieces will work well - I think fussy-cutting the designs will look nice!!

Teri, WOW what a collection of color and design. They make my mind dream of wonderful Stack & Whack fan blades, in a Gramdma's Fan Pattern or the OBW designs. I'm sure others will also come up with options for your gorgeous fabric...Happy Quilting whatever pattern you choose.

I don' think you should stress about it. I think you should send them to me and I will make another crazy quilt. Currently I am making one out of silk, silk velvet, brocade, etc, and a million beads, sewn on one at a time. I love it. But those fabrics would be very nice too! Just kidding. I hope you find something perfect.

What is a bento box? The fabrics are awesome.

I think I would keep the quilt pattern fairly simple and outline the sections (blocks) in a plain (black, navy blue, deep green, maroon)color to set them off. The quilt pattern doesn't really have to be intriquet, the material pattern is that all by itself.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at my shadow quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64843-1.htm SECOND ONE DOWN I used a different fabric for each one 8" squares to show your fabs off and then go back and bead them it would be glorious. This is my favorite quilt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4