Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Minimalist creates a quilting space

I quilt as a hobby and hate clutter. These are pictures of my quilting space. It is my dining room and I have fit all of my supplies into my china hutch. (my quilting books are on a bookcase in another room. I make, at most, 2-3 quilts at a time. I just finished an Irish Chain with Seminole border that was 98x118 inches. I love looking at how different everyone's quilting space is. My room also shows how you don't need that much to start quilting. I also came to the realization that I will not do applique or piece curves. I don't have the ability. I have tried and it wasn't fun for me and didn't come out well at all. I LOVE the look of both and greatly admire those who can do both but I didn't enjoy the process. In the future, I would love to get a accucut, a frame for machine quilting and an embroidery machine... then I might have a bit more clutter in the room!!!

Some tools and supplies for embellishing
    Name:  Attachment-175246.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  50.1 KB

My dining room/quilting room
    Name:  Attachment-175247.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  43.2 KB

Boxes for the 3 projects. Just used all scraps for scrap quilt
    Name:  Attachment-175248.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  35.7 KB

machine and hand quilt thread separated/pinning and cutting tools
    Name:  Attachment-175250.jpe
Views: 44
Size:  54.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now, what would you do with 25 totes full of stuff for crafts and quilting???
    I know, I know, you would not have that much in the first place, right, like the rest of us who have mess and CLUTTER!???
    :>)!

I am a nutcase when it comes to having too much. I need to use it right away! I tell my friends that if I wasn't a speech pathologist, I would be a professional organizer. I love to organize and simplify things. I also don't have enough money or space to maintain a large stash!

Blog Entries
    very nice

My sewing space isn't quite as sparse as yours, but like you I do not like clutter. My sewing room is straighted up at the end of every day. I can't sew when things get messy.

So, would you two like to move to Oklahoma and teach me how to de-clutter? :>)
    I AM working on it, but it seems to be taking forever!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Geez Louise, I had accumulated more than that after my very first quilt class. 30 years ago!

"A messy desk/sewing table/workspace is the sign of a creative mind." My story and I'm sticking with it. :roll: ;)

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I'm with Jan! I can't even function if there isn't clutter around! (or at least I don't think I can - never been in that situation lol)

very nice!...love your organizational skills

I don't like clutter either. It stresses me out. That said, I have no place to quilt. I have to use the kitchen table and then my sewing machine and cutting board gets stored in the spare bedroom. That drives me crazy as well. ;) Maybe in our next apartment we'll have room to set up a space where I can leave my machine out.

Blog Entries
    clutter? what clutter? i plead the fifth.

Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    clutter? what clutter? i plead the fifth.
    lol....I plead the fifth too!!!

I try to be organized but things just don't seem to stay in their places...lol

Blog Entries
    I so admire folks who can be this way. It's not part of my nature, but will admit I reach a saturation point and have to declutter!

I admire anyone with that amount of self disipline.

Blog Entries
    Love your space and organization. I, too, am a minimalist and do not like clutter. What a beautiful work area. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    So, would you two like to move to Oklahoma and teach me how to de-clutter? :>)
    I AM working on it, but it seems to be taking forever!
    I would love to teach you how to declutter! Surely wish Ohio and Oklahoma were just a little closer. It is actually very easy to declutter and easy to keep it that way.

I really wish I had your organizational skills!

I hate clutter too, but I am not a minimalist. I want everything put away neatly in it's place. No, I NEED everything put away neatly. :P

But I have a large stash and lots of notions; I just have to have a place for everything where its not sitting out. And I do need to clean up whenever I finish for the day.

I would break out in hives if my room ever approached the level of chaos I see in some of your rooms when you're in the middle of a project. I wish I could relax and leave it, but I can't.

VERY nice to show people who have no room set apart to sew and quilt in. AND very nice for those of us lucky enough to have a dedicated room.

In order to really get into quilting, it is almost essential to have a room to devote to your hobby. That way you can stop what you are doing, leave the room, close the door and come back anytime to pick up right where you left off. If you have to put everything away and clean up a common space like a dining room, you spend precious time getting stuff out and putting it away. Even if you can only put a folding table in the corner of a room and put up a room divider around it. It doesn't have to be cluttered to be very useable and a place where your art can be brought forth. I hope you will ease up on yourself and let your love of quilting bloom.

Blog Entries
    I love having everything put away and counters and surfaces clean, but my hubby takes any empty surface as an invitation for clutter. It is an ongoing battle at times. After 41 years I mostly have given up.

Very good idea to use that space for quilting. Love that its all neat. Mine....not so much-but would love something to put what I have into, plus a room just for me! :) Ahhh, I'm a dreamer!

Interesting subject. One of my favorite shows is Hoarders. It is scary how something like that can creep up on you...........so although I want all the new pretty fabric.........I can't have it all....there will always be pretty fabric. So good for you, your space is wonderful.

I wish whatever you have in you would move to me! Its so very hard to keep all the clutter under control and I long for a streamlined, minimalist work area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast