Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My 1st Quilt Top - unfinished >

My 1st Quilt Top - unfinished

My 1st Quilt Top - unfinished

Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Looks fine to me ! Being new and a first is special.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Wow, I think it's super!!!

I'm new, too, but I'm still muddling my way thru my first wall hanging, already gave up on that circular cutting thingie, and I only *dream* about doing a full size quilt someday.

Like others said, you're being too hard on yourself....it's awesome!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
#1.. 5 years old is NOT old fabric..lol.. I have some in my stash that is 20 years old and it does not affect the quality..
#2.. anyone who attempts a quilt with strips of printed plaids or rows of squares, is just asking for crookedness..
NOT because of their cutting abilities.. but because it is not usually printed on a true grain.
#3.. I'd advise you to be a bit kinder to yourself. I think you did an awesome job.

As to the quality of the fabric.. you use what you have.. that applies to all of us. and to what you can afford. I say just keep trying.. if you have the desire and determination you can do it. I frequently still use scissors to cut stuff out.. I also use all sorts of rulers, rotary cutters and a rotary ruler.. which is a combination device.. a ruler with an attached rotary cutter.
It is a timesaver for strips.
I don't know how to quote reply so I don't know what this will do but you said it all so well I would like to "ditto" each of your statements with exclamation points.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah!!!!!!!! It worked. Now I know how to quote reply!

I like your quilt. I like the way to looks like it threads through itself. If we don't make mistakes we have no opportunity to learn new things.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM

[quote=dsb38327]
Originally Posted by Tippy
#1.. 5 years old is NOT old fabric..lol.. I have some in my stash that is 20 years old and it does not affect the quality..
#2.. anyone who attempts a quilt with strips of printed plaids or rows of squares, is just asking for crookedness..
NOT because of their cutting abilities.. but because it is not usually printed on a true grain.
#3.. I'd advise you to be a bit kinder to yourself. I think you did an awesome job.

As to the quality of the fabric.. you use what you have.. that applies to all of us. and to what you can afford.
Well put, totally agree!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks everyone...maybe it's the perfectionist coming out in me :)
Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
As I had stated in my introduction thread, I'm just now learning to quilt. This is my first "official" quilt top. I did this in class, still lack one outside border.

Not great, but I'm still ... trying :D The quilting class teacher stated my material was very old and of cheaper quality (it was very old and probably cheaper as I bought it over 5 years ago when I was trying to teach myself to quilt). In the town I lived in, the only place to get material was at Walmart.

Here's a pic ... be easy :D

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/03152010.jpg[/IMG]

I am not great at sewing a straight line, and the cutting by hand I did wasn't great either ... but for my first time it wasn't as bad as I thought but sure can be a lot better.

I'm open for any suggestions on doing better the second time.
Old and cheap, huh? I have that same printed fabric that I've had for several years. Haven't made a whole quilt with it but I've used some. I like it.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 AM

It is very charming and has a rustic, country look. This is a wonderful first quilt top! You are doing just fine. I can't wait to see what you do next.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:26 AM

You think that fabric is old? I have some over 20yo.As long as it's taken care of it lasts a long time!!
Good job on the quilt!! What is next??

Ditter
Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone ... not sure what is next ... I've joined a block swap and working on it now ... :D