Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 AM

nice quilt, courtney. i am going to make one for my niece this
year. nice.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

nice
love the colours in your T-shirts
Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Thanks much, I was thinking to add a black border but, how hard is it to match the black checks to any other black? Ask me because I know haha, its very hard but I finally decided I needed to pick one even though it is not exact its the closest I could get, who knew there would be sooo many different shades of black...talk about stressful haha, but I finally made the purchase...now to decide to do a 2", 3" bigger or smaller border? Any ideas? Thanks have a nice day thanks for all the support its taken a long time to get this far that is for sure haha.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM

This looks great. I have yet to take on the challenge of a T-shirt quilt.
Your blocks looks perfect !
Old 10-31-2012, 03:51 AM

For your black border, use a mottled/marbled black. The differences in black wouldn't be as noticeable. (Oops, I see you've already bought the fabric.) Bright colored variegated thread would be great for quilting--it would tie in with all the colors in the logos of the shirts. I assume the recipient is a race fan or does he actually race?

I made a memory quilt for my brother several years ago. He's a former midget race car driver. I used some T-shirts and photos of races/trophy presentations/etc and sashed/border/backed it with several different sized black/white check fabrics. It was a fun quilt to make and he LOVED it. Wish I could find the picture to post.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would use any leftover t-shirt fabric to make a practice piece first -- as similar to the quilt as possible with interfaced t-shirt fabric, same batting, black backing. I would want to make sure that I could FMQ and not have white thread dots showing through on the back and/or black dots on the front. Getting a balanced stitch can be done, especially with a batting as thick as WnN, but when you FMQ the balance of the stitching changes back and forth as you sew. Also you want to make sure that your needle can handle the thicknesses.
-Thanks for the advise now my issue is, I have added a 2 3/4" black border/sashing around the perimeter its the same material/color as my backing...I am going to free motion quilt this one but should I or should I not quilt my sashing around the outside? Will it look better if I leave it untouched and just quilt on the t-shirts? hmmm?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
For your black border, use a mottled/marbled black. The differences in black wouldn't be as noticeable. (Oops, I see you've already bought the fabric.) Bright colored variegated thread would be great for quilting--it would tie in with all the colors in the logos of the shirts. I assume the recipient is a race fan or does he actually race?

I made a memory quilt for my brother several years ago. He's a former midget race car driver. I used some T-shirts and photos of races/trophy presentations/etc and sashed/border/backed it with several different sized black/white check fabrics. It was a fun quilt to make and he LOVED it. Wish I could find the picture to post.
-Would a rainbow type thread look nice? I know they have those blended threads with all kinds of colors on them, the only question I have then is how about the backing, its a solid black, will it still look ok with all the swirls in rainbow colors (I am long arming a meandering pattern for the quilting)? or should I just try keep my bobbin thread black so it all kind of blends together? This one has definitely been a challenge haha.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM

- Yes he is a race fan, in fact these are his son's (who also races) t-shirts as he grew up so its a very precious memory quilt to him...I just worry so much about messing it up haha I want to make sure I do all the right things since I am new to quilting haha.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
-Would a rainbow type thread look nice? I know they have those blended threads with all kinds of colors on them, the only question I have then is how about the backing, its a solid black, will it still look ok with all the swirls in rainbow colors (I am long arming a meandering pattern for the quilting)? or should I just try keep my bobbin thread black so it all kind of blends together? This one has definitely been a challenge haha.
I think what you're referring to as rainbow thread is what I call variegated. There are a number of different color combinations available. If you can't find any at LQS or JoAnn's, etc. www.superiorthreads.com has a great selection.

All the different colors with your meandering would look great on the back. I'm not a very good quilter so I'd use black so my quilting wouldn't be so obvious on the back.

He'll love the quilt because of the memories and because you love him enough to make it for him. My brother even suggested to me that I offer to sell racing T-shirt or photo quilts for fellow racers because he loved his so much.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM

I think what you're referring to as rainbow thread is what I call variegated. There are a number of different color combinations available. If you can't find any at LQS or JoAnn's, etc. www.superiorthreads.com has a great selection.

All the different colors with your meandering would look great on the back. I'm not a very good quilter so I'd use black so my quilting wouldn't be so obvious on the back.

He'll love the quilt because of the memories and because you love him enough to make it for him. My brother even suggested to me that I offer to sell racing T-shirt or photo quilts for fellow racers because he loved his so much.

-I picked up a gray/black variegated thread from Joann's I think it will look really nice...yes sometimes my quilting gets a little crazy so I needed to get something a little more 'blendy' for that back haha, I just got it all rolled up on my quilting frame and I am ready to start meandering next week! yikes, we will see how it goes, I will post another picture of the final product! thanks everyone for the advise and ideas!!