Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Baltimore WIP

The basket for the central block is D***. I was starting to think I'd never see the end of appliqueing bias. Still have to fill it yet though :lol:

I couldn't find the background I wanted, so I ended up tea dying some cream quilters homespun in the microwave. Was very pleased with the result, gave just enough movement to stop the background being stark but not so much that the applique would be drowned.

WIP Going to be a beautiful fin____ ed project. Your background fabric came out good. I can't wait to see the flowers :D :thumbup:

WOW - you must have the patience of a saint. Awesome.

Very pretty. I agree with annmarie you must have the patience of a saint. I would never do something with that much applique. The tea dyeing turned out great. Can't wait to see it all the way done.

omgosh! That is amazing! I wouldn't know where to start! BEautiful, beautiful work!

lin
    Quote Originally Posted by annmarie
    WOW - you must have the patience of a saint. Awesome.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. :lol:

Kathy, your work is fabulous. That's going to be one gorgeous quilt. I love what you did to the background fabric. I've never attempted that before. Do you have to wash the dyed fabric or is it enough just to rinse it well before using it? Knowing me, I wouldn't get all that lovely tea out and it would go on to stain other fabrics in my quilt. :P

I bet you can't wait to get started on the flower section. More color to entertain your eyes. :)

Thanks so much everyone. Yes I can't wait to do the flowers, just got a bit more plodding to do, the stems and background leaves and then I get to do the fun stuff :D

Background frabric was washed in hot water, then very very wet fabric was sprinkled with dry tea leaves and cooked in a plastic bag. Gave a lovely mottled effect, was quite pleased with the result as was a bit of an experiment. The worst thing was getting all those sticky tea leaves rinsed out :lol:

I'm impressed!!! :D

Lookin' good there....ain't doin' applique a hoot? :wink:

lin
    Thanks for letting us know how you did the dying ShellyQ. I'm definitely going to have to try that. It was so effective.

WOW! That is beatiful! Keep up the good work! :D Can't wait to see all of it...trying to avoid using a bad word. LOL

Spectactualr! Knocks my socks off gorgeous! you did a great job and the tea dying was such a great idea. Can I send you some of my UFO'S. You do such grea work, maybe you can make somethng out of my messes. :lol: Seriously--good work :!:

I love the effect you got on the background fabric. I don't understand in your directions what you mean by "cooked in a plastic bag".

Lillian, I think she microwaved it.

Yes that's right, cooked in plastic bag in microwave. Like all microwave cooking the more fabric you do the longer it takes. Loosely seal bag, to allow steam to escape.

Fabric must be very wet so as not to burn or damage microwave. Careful not to burn yourself with the steam.

Was a bit hit and miss. I had to redo some of it because I didn't leave it sitting long enough after cooking. Found about 15 mins was good. The shorter the time you leave it, the lighter the colour. Also best to use packet tea as the tea in tea bags is too finely ground.

Wow! That looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished piece. I love how the tea dying worked for the background. I want to try a bit. How much fabric did you do at one time?

The most I did was a 2 metre piece but was getting a bit cumbersome at that amount, but needed that length for outer boarders. Is better to do in smaller pieces.

My central block is finally F*****D. It has roses gladioli and some blue flowers I made up cause I needed something that draped to complete the design. Was starting to think I was never going to get there :shock: , Iím still having nightmares about appliquťing little blue flowers :lol: , must admit I was getting a bit fed up with it and starting to lose my mojo.

If I were to do it again there are some things I would do differently, am I going to do it again? Ahh No :!: . Some of the construction and perspective is a bit out and I made a couple of poor colour choices in the shading of a couple of the flowers. But still when alls said and done it is sitting on the outer limits of my abilities so that canít be too bad :D .

I donít know how people manage to do whole quilts in this style, itís going to take forever to F****. Never mind, this is the center block, the other blocks are a bit smaller and not as complicated, I hope :? . If I want to get my vision out of my head and into reality I am just going to have to ignore the time factor and keep on plodding until it is done.

I know Iíve had a bit of a grizzle but I really am quite pleased with it and am determined to finish my Baltimore quilt, even if it does take forever. Iím going to take a couple of days break and try and get my focus back. I darenít put it away though, cause you know whatíll happen if I do that :lol: :oops:

Close up of main flowers
    Name:  Attachment-1590.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  55.6 KB

Completed basket
    Name:  Attachment-1599.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  66.2 KB

Close up of the little blue flowers that drove me nuts lol
    Name:  Attachment-1749.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  51.4 KB

Oh Shelley, thats just exquisite work. You are very patient to do all that
    and talented as well. :D

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: :shock: :!:

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.......

I don't know what else to say

Thanks very much :P , Maybe it's patience or maybe I'm just crazy :lol:

Blog Entries
    kitty has something beeeeeeoooooooooooteeeeeeeeeeful to dream about now. :P

Awesome!

Shelly, Its stunning :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: I am in awe of your beautiful work. :!:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast