Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My bargello WIP >

My bargello WIP

My bargello WIP

Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
Going to be gorgeous. Thanks for showing us. How challenging is this to make?
Well firstly you need good eyesight to read the pattern! Otherwise, it's just keeping everything in order ( I'm good at that - not OCD, I prefer 'meticulous'! :lol: ) I took a tip from Judy Martin and use cheap cutlery trays to hold all the bits and I have the strip stacks draped over a garment hanger. Other than that, it's sewing straight lines. It's more of an organisational challenge than a sewing one. :-D
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
Great job, keep going. I haven't met a wonderful quilt that never needed unsewing.
The unsewing is kind of intrinsic to the pattern - there are several kinds of strip sets and they're not all used in their entirety - sometimes only a section so you have to unpick a seam. Also, you have to add in individual blocks of the black here and there. I'm laying the pieces out in order and drawing a pencil line through the pattern as I lay out each piece. It sounds more difficult than it is - you just have to concentrate. And if you mess up, at least the seam ripper is handy! :lol:
Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM

i just found this, so someone may have asked this question already, but is this put together by the loop method or in strips?

and how many colours are there?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 PM

That is just gorgeous. I like how you said, "It's more of an organisational challenge than a sewing one."

That's what I was afraid of. Sew, I can, but Organization is not one of my strong points. :O)

Your work is outstanding.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM

I think that it can be either...Similar to trip around the world except that the strips are different sizes...Or at least that is what I see in most of the ones that I like...haven't tried one yet...It's on the bucket list...along with a million other things...My thinking would be to do shorter strip lengths...then there might be less of an issue in ripping out...
Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Wow ... love what you've done so far!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM

what an amazing quilt can't wait to see it finished.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

:shock: WOW :shock: Stunning!! :D:D:D
Old 01-29-2011, 03:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i just found this, so someone may have asked this question already, but is this put together by the loop method or in strips?

and how many colours are there?
There are 16 fabrics including the black. I had to make various numbers of six different variations of strip sets then subcut the sets, following the pattern and often unsewing part of the subcut strip and adding in extra black pieces where indicated. The strips I'm subcutting range from 1" wide up to 1 7/8". :-D
Old 01-29-2011, 03:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jbarrow
I think that it can be either...Similar to trip around the world except that the strips are different sizes...Or at least that is what I see in most of the ones that I like...haven't tried one yet...It's on the bucket list...along with a million other things...My thinking would be to do shorter strip lengths...then there might be less of an issue in ripping out...
If I was designing my own, I think I would try and do less of the unsewing part but then on the otherhand, I think this is a very intricate pattern. Smart of me to chose it for my first one, eh?! :lol: