Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My blackbird quilt

This is one of my quilts. The birds are from fabric that was my grandmother's dress..and she passed 34 yrs ago. There is one bird for every grandchild my Mom had... and lots of other symbolism. This is totally my creation, and was inspired by a "moment" that I shared with my son, on a cold, rainy day last winter. We were on his carport, watching freezing rain, when a flock of birds flew up...and the red on their wings was so startlingly brilliant, that it made an impression on me and I told my son...that is a quilt pattern! The scene is what I saw....trees are just like..in his yard. I LOVE this quilt!
    shutejute
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is really cool! what symbolism!! Don't know what else to say! Its neat!

That is so beautiful, wish I could touch it!

To add more....the four corner blocks are for the four children my Mom had...and two of us still have companions...hence the blocks next to, two of the corners. Two of us are divorced....hence, the lonely corners...LOL.
    My Mom just passed away in Oct. '5 and she gave me her sewing machine to help me along in my beginning quilting. She was not a quilter, but my paternal grandmother was, in her earlier years. Then in Dec. '05, my aunt called me and gave me 36 (!) of my paternal grandmother's dresses that she had stored in her attic for 34 (!!!) years...all cotton..and in perfect shape! I'll post a pic of the wall hanging I did for my aunt...honoring my little granny.
    I am still kinda new at quilting...but very bold, in diving into my projects. I am an emotional quilter...all or most of my quilts have some symbolism in them. I LOVE the pictorial style...usually of my own creation. Creating a scene with fabric is my thing!
    shutejute..in louisiana

Here is the wall hanging, done for my aunt, honoring my little granny.

This wall hanging is totally done from granny's dresses. Here it is complete with the tree. That little woman is just as I remember granny ...with her apron and bonnet.

how wonderfully creative

Your post brought tears to my eyes, I miss my mom ane gram, all of them, wonderful memorial

Aweee...didn't mean to make you cry. But, this wall quilt is one I made soon after my Mom passed....and the dove is from one of her night gowns. It has 3 pink flowers...for Mom's 3 girls and one blue for the one son. I made this for my sister...in honor of our Mom.

Well, the whole pic didn't come through..but you get the idea. On a funny note...the one pink flower that is turned backward is for my middle sister, who always did things...differently, always...bucking the trend. And, this wall hanging was..for her. I told her that the backward flower was HER..and she got a kick out of it.
    shute

Boo
    What a wonderful way to memoralize loved ones. You have sparked an idea in me. Thank you.

Very beautiful! And such wonderful memories attached to it. How long have you been quilting?

I have been quilting now for just about 3 yrs now. I started with a cheater panel, and then jumped off into a sunbonnet sue for a very special granddaughter that was on the way. She is now 2 yrs and 3 months.
    I always had the desire to quilt..but didn't know how..and didn't really think I could do it. But, I have discovered, that I CAN and I love it. My kids are all grown and gone..and my job only takes about 1/2 a day, and I am divorced. So, I finally have found my passion, at 53 yrs of age, and have the time to do it.

Glad you have found your passion. You clearly are good at it! I am a beginning quilter and am enjoying it. So far I have made a doll bed quilt and a crib quilt for my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. I've started two tabletopper projects but had to put them on hold to grab some sun in a warmer climate!

That's fantastic. I love the scenery and applique quilts and have a bunch of ideas floating in my head just busting to get out. :idea: No wonder my heads been aching.

totally awsome. very inspirational

Izy
    Beautiful - thought provoking work - well done!! :-)

Banned
    Oh my. That is BEAUTIFUL......

Well, if your new at this I'll be Damned you have done such a wonderful job that I'm still in AUh I'm new at this and still only doing squares :shock: The black birds I would really and I highly suggest that you enter it in a quilt show since it is so stunning. The rest are GREAT TOO but for some reason the black birds just HOLLARS at me.

What a wonderful job you should pat your self on the back.

You are an inspiration! Lovely quilts.

Judith

Wonderful quilts! I love the aspect of having a story with the quilts, and such touching stories are a treasure!

Your quilts are beautiful in so many ways! Make more!

Now that is talent!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: You have your really put your heat into that one. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! That belongs entered into a quilt show.

Very nice job!

Your quilts are unique! I think you're a very talented designer, and I look forward to seeing more of your creations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast