Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Challenge to you..

I have been avoiding the log cabin block because I thought it was hard to do. So tonight I bit the bullet and cut all the fabric and used some horrible instructions (I figured it out on my own!!!!) and here it is. I cannot wait to finish it. The pattern is patriotic it will have a flag and some houses in the quilt big step for me!!

My challenge is to try to do a block/pattern you have been avoiding because it may look hard but isn't. See if I can do this anyone can and because this board is so helpful you have no reason not too!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love it! The log cabin is one of my very most favorite blocks, although I don't think it very easy. Accurate cutting and sewing are very important. It looks as though you've got it mastered! :) I did one that has centers with either a little house or two little pine trees. Your patriotic theme will be awesome! Please be sure to post pics as you go!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Congrats. It looks wonderful. I cannot accept your challenge though because I have quilted many years and have not come across one that I couldn't figure out. Now there are those I don't like and won't do. OLO. Would love to see it when you are done.

Gorgeous block

Glad you tried, Looks Great and will be Pretty when done!!:)

Great block. Love to see it when it is finished!
    Colleen

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I experienced something similar in college. The classes I HAD to take and did not want to, often had the most interesting side bars and I learned so much. Same with quilt patterns.

You did a real good job on your log cabin block.

Power Poster
    You did a great job!

Way to go. Looks great.

If you need more patriotic fabric let me know. I have a bunch left over that I will sell very cheap.

Your blk is very nice. Main thing is just always go the same direction each time you add the next strip...
    Very nice.

Nice block, love red, white and blue quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I have been avoiding the log cabin block because I thought it was hard to do. So tonight I bit the bullet and cut all the fabric and used some horrible instructions (I figured it out on my own!!!!) and here it is. I cannot wait to finish it. The pattern is patriotic it will have a flag and some houses in the quilt big step for me!!

My challenge is to try to do a block/pattern you have been avoiding because it may look hard but isn't. See if I can do this anyone can and because this board is so helpful you have no reason not too!!!
    The really fun thing about log cabin blocks is the fun you have when you start putting them together and see all the possibilities for layout. Since you challenged us, I guess I will have to try something with triangles; hate them. I'll keep you posted.

You have done that log cabin perfectly, I love it!!

You Did Great! Love the patriotic fabric!

Blog Entries
    i will have to wait till i get home to snap a picture but the one i've been putting off for about 5 years now is the pineapple block. and now i'm making some...i absolutely love the pineapple block, and saw a pineapple quilt one time that took my breath away. i then purchase foundations...but never got around to making one; finally made one, decided it would go really good in a quilt i am making for one of my sister-in-law's...
    then i decided i will never make a pineapple quilt! they are the most tedious blocks i have ever made! 37 pieces in each block, i've been making 2 at a time and it takes a little over an hour to make 2...i have 16 done, 6 to go and i am so over it! so after this pineapple border around the quilt other things are going to be used. I sure love the look though...guess i should not say never...but they are tedious, and i am usually very A.D.D. never do the same thing twice...to make 22 of the same block is pretty amazing for me to accomplish! anyhow...i'll get a pic later, they are beautiful!

Eleanor Burns Log Cabin book has wonderful instructions and makes is a fun quilt to put together. Your block is great - love red, white, and blue together!

Your block looks great. I've never tried a log cabin block before either.

I love a good challenge... I've always wanted to make the Dresden Plate. I think its so pretty but looks so out of my league. Everytime I see it I think I would love to make that, but just keep looking for something easier.

I found a pattern and printed it, so I guess it's time to face my fear. Thanks for the challenge.

I did the same thing! I was so surprized at how easy it actually was. Now I'm doing blocks with Y seams and they've turned out not to be the monsters I thought they were.

Love it. It will make a beautiful quilt.

Awww, your block looks amazing! Thanks for the encouragement - I find trying stuff you dread or are afraid to try, and then conquering them, gives a most thrilling sort of satisfaction. :)

Love your block!

You did a great job by yourself. I find that Judy Martin is the best with the LC. she has a lovely cabin in on of her blocks. I think it's her latest book of Log cabin quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme

I haven't quilted any blocks, so all will be a challenge,and they all look difficult though some more so than others, when I have finished my latest which is applique will give it a try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
    Awww, your block looks amazing! Thanks for the encouragement - I find trying stuff you dread or are afraid to try, and then conquering them, gives a most thrilling sort of satisfaction. :)
    Ditto,Would not say it any better :thumbup:

I made a dresden plate out of urgent need and if I can do it you can too!! See my post about Mom's vintage dresden plate!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast