Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My First Quilt!

Blog Entries
    A wonderful two color combination. Good luck with the quilting. It will be a challenge but it can be done.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Wonderful quilt and you will be so proud of yourself when it is finished. Great job!

Blog Entries
    Congrats on doing such an awesome job! You will be enjoying it on your bed soon I am sure!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

LJDay... That was your first quilt! Good job!!! If you are following a book for instructions it may not mention using Elmer's School Glue (a rather new discovery), instead of pins, basting, etc. There are a lot of threads on this board about using the glue. It is totally forgiving (you can dampen a mistake and the glue disolves. Use just thin lines of glue on each of your 4 quarters of the top onto the batting independently, smooth down with your hands and then let the whole thing dry, and the next day do the back. Smooth it out with your hand as you finish each quarter section, and iron it dry to set it. Hope you haven't bought any of the toxic spray cans they sell; they are not only expensive, but they can be dangerous if you have any breathing/asthma problems at all (and if you don't now, just read the can instructions and you can be sure you have a good chance of having breathing problems after you use it enough!

I have quilted my own king size on my home machine (I aways do my own, whatever the size). On large quilts I find it easier (necessary) to plan a design that I can finish down the length of the quilt and when that's done, turn it and do (often the same design) across the width of the quilt. My quilts are gifts of love and my personal feeling is that I want them to be done by me, not by someone else. Anything is fair; it's just personal preferences, or money restraints.

Years ago I made a template of curved lines using salad plates (going 2 or 3 inches above and then below the "equator" line). I find myself going back to that curved design time and time again (probably at least a third of my quilts are done with it. It isn't fancy, but my personal preference is to let my pieced fabric design shine, and my quilting just needs to "fit". It's very hard to show case BOTH the pattern and the design, but of course anything can be done by super experts with one of those Long Arm machines.

You may come up with a design that does each quarter of the quilt seperately. Experiment. It isn't rocket science. If the quilt is really heavy perhaps a DH or BF can help you move the quilt from the other side of the table, perhaps using cardboard rolls to wrap it around (my DH did this for me when I quilted the "Desert Quilt", which you can find on line here by putting those two words into the "find" box on the top right of this page) which has a huge, independently batted cactus on it... he followed my head nods.. but this was an extremely heavy, bulky quilt.

A lot of people really like the very busy quilting, and often it is very striking. But a lot of people like the the pattern their piecing has produced and are happier using a simple, more relaxed design. I'm trying to give you options :>). You've made a wonderful start!!! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Sierra; 06-01-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Could you rent time on a longarm to do it?
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

THat's a wonderful quilt! Love the pattern and the fabric. You should be very proud. Don't ask me about quilting. I take the easy way out and send most to a longarmer. I have neither the time nor the patience. And, to be honest, I like piecing better, so that's what I do.

lue
    You did a great job on your quilt and yes, you're going to give yourself a major headache quilting it on a regular sewing machine, I imagine. But how accomplished you will feel when you complete it. I've only quilted a twin size log cabin for my granddaughter and that was a major accomplishment! Good luck & enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a nice achievement for your first quilt, especially a king size. I love the blue & white.

Beautiful! I haven't ever made a blue and white quilt with just two fabrics but one day I hope to. You CAN quilt it on your machine; it just won't be the easiest thing you've ever done. I use a 1941 cast iron Singer and have quilted quilts that big on a couple of occasions.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Very nice 1st project

Looks great - you are brave for working on such a large piece as your first project. This quilt will be one of many many more. Quilting is so addictive. GREAT WORK!!!

That's a terrific quilt! Hard to believe it is your first!
    Oh wow quilting a California king size on a domestic sewing machine would be darn near impossible for me. But I have heard of people who do it. Make sure your batting is very thin.

My suggestion is to hand baste a couple of time through the middle of the quilt going both ways then Pin, Pin, Pin start your quiting in the middle of the quilt and work you way out. It can be done. I just finished one almost that big.
    I did one for my DIL that large but I did it in two parts then put them together. Good luck, you quilt is beautiful.

Nice quilt. Good job.

That is a fabulous first quilt! Congratulations on the nice job.

Your piecing is beautiful!! Love the blue and white!! Have you thought of tying your quilt instead of machine quilting? I have tied quilts before with perle floss and it has been very durable....and pretty.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Check with your local LQS if you feel you need some tutoring. They can show you how to puddle your fabric and make those turns under the harp of your machine. If not, watch a few videos on the computer first. Its great advice you get from them. Good luck and be sure to post the finished piece

Congratulations on your first quilt - quite ambitious and you succeeded.

Very nicely done. I have never quilted anything that big but I wish you luck.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

I love your patchwork !

Verrrry nice!!! You did a great job.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I love the quilt. You did a great job. I am a new quilter also...I have been taking lessons and having fun meeting other quilters.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    Very pretty quilt and have fun quilting it. Look on you tube to watch some quilting video''s, pool the quilt up so it's not heavy and dragging when your quilting it.
    You might also try just using a flannel or fleece backing and no batting. You get more of a blanket than a quilt but it is easier to do a large quilt , especially for your first attempt at machine quilting quilting

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    A lot better than my first quilt. Very pretty and well constructed.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Power Poster
    looks great!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast