Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: My First Quilt!

Blog Entries
    We're in the same boat! II'm almost done with a quilt top of similar size for our CA queen bed, and I have no idea how I'm going to quilt it. I thought about doing it in sections on my regular sewing machine but was told by my quilt shop that the only way to go is to send it out to a long arm. Hand quilting would take the rest of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by LJDay View Post
    This is a picture of my first quilt top. The pattern is called Patched Fence which I found in Weekend Quilts & Pillows by Deborah Hearn. The pattern made a 76" square; however, I wanted it to fit my California King, with a 12" drop on each side. So I increased it to 114"W x 102"L. I know I made mistakes and it isn't perfect; however, I love it and can't wait to quilt it. Which does bring me to a dilemma. I just have a regular sewing machine. I have a feeling this is going to give me major gray hair!!

lovely quilt
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

If this great big quilt did not give you a major grey hair attack, you will survive the quilting. Very nice job!

Looks terrific, great job and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    Excellent first quilt! I have quilted a jumbo queen on a regular little Brother machine from Walmart. It wasn't easy but it is done.

You might try looking at Quilting in Sections by Marti Michell. It's a book, but you can also find online videos to give you the idea. It might make it easier for you to get it done.
    This Book was helpful for my first quilt on my "regular" machine

I like that pattern, I like how you can look at it at differnt angels and see something totally different.
    Jeanie

I looked online to get some information on Marti Mitchell's book, Quilting in Sections. From what I can understand, this is quilting sections before you put the whole quilt top together. That's not going to work for this one because it is already put together. Given the fact that I am only quilting in straight lines approx every 8 inches vertically and horizontally, I am thinking hand quilting may be my only answer. I was reading about large stitch quilting. Has anyone done that? I figure it's worth a try. It's my first quilt and it's going on my bed, so I have accepted the fact that it isn't going to be a picture of perfection; but then no one is going to be looking that closely I don't think. Which brings me to the next question. Do I have to have a quilting frame/hoop, or can I just do this free hand?
    Leslie

looks great

Nice first quilt.
    Carol

For quilting, I'd call around to see if someone would rent time on LA.

Congratulations and beautifully done! I love blue and white quilts and your quilt turned out so very well, good for you!
    Thank you for the pictures. Though I haven't quilted a large quilt on my machine I have two to do very, very soon.
    I have been told, right or wrong, to divide into quadrants, 4ths or strips, depending on how you will quilt...
    listen to those who know for sure before me..

I really appreciate when quilters name their source of their pattern which I think is very considerate as well as
    acknowledging the makers registration. Thank you.

My goodness, you jumped in the deep end. It is lovely! What I did with my first large quilt was to quilt the inner parts by hand and the outer parts by machine; an easy cop-out for handling bulk.

Blog Entries
    beautiful first quilt. good luck quilting it.

Very pretty. I love blue and white.

Very nice. Love the pattern.

Wow great quilt for your first!

Great job! My first quilt was a queen, wondered what I was thinking when I tried to quilt it on my little machine! Thanks to the great members on this board, I did quilt it on my machine and it looked great! Biggest help were the experienced quilters that encouraged me to to one section at a time, take your time and don't get discouraged. It took me a long time but I was so proud while I was actually binding it!! You can do it !!!

great job, congrats on your very first quilt . Watch out for the "quilting bug" it only takes once to be bitten. Good luck in getting it quilted.

LJDay wrote "I looked online to get some information on Marti Mitchell's book, Quilting in Sections. From what I can understand, this is quilting sections before you put the whole quilt top together. That's not going to work for this one because it is already put together."

When I spoke of gluing it in sections I was referring to not trying to put glue on the entire quilt at once, but do it by sections (I said do it by quarters, but doing it by halves might be a better option for you). It is not a problem... I'm not very clever and I've done it (thin lines of glue onto the batting and then start at the center and smooth the fabric down onto the batting, do the other half the same way. If you blob too much glue in a spot, relax, it will all wash out later.

Hope you find a way that is good for YOU!

Lovely quilt-especially for a first attempt.
    Liz Fairlie

Oh I understand now. Thanks for clarifying. I also have read about the quilt as you go but not quite sure how to do that. So much to learn and so impatient to know it all now. The quilting bug has definitely bitten a chunk out of me and I may never get over it. Wouldn't that be awesome!?
    Leslie

QM
    Very nice quilt.

Wonderful work!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3