Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
MY FOLDED DAHLIA FINISHED >

MY FOLDED DAHLIA FINISHED

MY FOLDED DAHLIA FINISHED

Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Beautiful job on your folded dahlia. I make one yesterday to using the tute dragonquilter posted. I really liked it, but being the economic minded person that I am (especially with the price of fabric going up) I think I am going to try doing it again with smaller squares for the first 2 or 3 rounds and work up to the 6" square for the last round. If I find that I need more fullness I might cut a diamon shape of extra leftover batting to put in each petal. Once I try it that way I will post both pictures to let everyone know if it worked or not.

Thanks for sharing,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Well I just finished my second folded dahlia but instead of using 6" squares for all of it I started out with the first 4 rows using a 4 x 3 rectangle, then rows 5 and 6 I used a 5 x 4 rectangle and only on the last row did I use the 6" square and I think I could have used a 6 x 5 without any problem. On all of the rectangles I started out by pressing the top over just 1 inch instead of in half and then I pressed the long direction in half. I saved alot of fabric doing it this way and the finished flower weighs less than half of what the other one did. I did cut a 2" diamond out of left over batting to put under the center fold, but it really wasn't necessary because you still get some puff. I will post the 2 pictures tomorrow so you can see that there really isn't any difference except that you use less fabric that you don't end up seeing anyway.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Beautiful job on your folded dahlia. I make one yesterday to using the tute dragonquilter posted. I really liked it, but being the economic minded person that I am (especially with the price of fabric going up) I think I am going to try doing it again with smaller squares for the first 2 or 3 rounds and work up to the 6" square for the last round. If I find that I need more fullness I might cut a diamon shape of extra leftover batting to put in each petal. Once I try it that way I will post both pictures to let everyone know if it worked or not.

Thanks for sharing,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Well I just finished my second folded dahlia but instead of using 6" squares for all of it I started out with the first 4 rows using a 4 x 3 rectangle, then rows 5 and 6 I used a 5 x 4 rectangle and only on the last row did I use the 6" square and I think I could have used a 6 x 5 without any problem. On all of the rectangles I started out by pressing the top over just 1 inch instead of in half and then I pressed the long direction in half. I saved alot of fabric doing it this way and the finished flower weighs less than half of what the other one did. I did cut a 2" diamond out of left over batting to put under the center fold, but it really wasn't necessary because you still get some puff. I will post the 2 pictures tomorrow so you can see that there really isn't any difference except that you use less fabric that you don't end up seeing anyway.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Can't wait to see the pictures and thanks for sharing this information. I am in the process of making my 2nd one and will try your way on my 3rd one. Less bulk would really be nice.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:50 PM

Awl - I wanna see it too. I also thought they were amazing but I have not yet tried it.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:40 AM

Gorgeous, :thumbup:
Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 AM

It's absolutely beautiful.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 AM

WooHoo
Old 04-23-2011, 04:26 AM

Very pretty, and very unique. Have never seen this pattern before, and you did an excellent job!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:13 AM

Beautiful!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 AM

Beautiful !! You did a great job !! :-) :thumbup: