Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My hand dyeing experience >

My hand dyeing experience

My hand dyeing experience

Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
rb.

Oh, and for storing the kitty litter trays full of beer cups, fabric in dye, I covered lightly with garbage bags (they're supposed to sit at least 3 hours), and put them on my dryer. (not a running dryer, you don't want agitation to get mottling) I covered them to keep any fumes from rising.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
rb.

Dunster, I didn't find them too expensive. I bought 16 different colours, at 50 grams each, and paid about $130 including shipping (was a 20% discount sale going on). I only dipped into three of them. 13 still to crack open. I'd suggest buying three primary colours (red, blue, yellow) in a decent size, and trying that to start. As for the soda ash bath...that's just PH Up (must be sodium carbonate...read the label) from a pool store, or Walmart, etc. Here in Canada I got it at Canadian Tire. Anywhere that sells the inflatible ring pools will likely have it. A big bottle of it cost me about $4.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 PM

oh wow :) looks great
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Those are more than ok, they're gorgeous!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 AM

rb, would you please clarify something for me? I know you said that all containers, etc., should be used ONLY for this process. But then you said you used your kitchen sink? Do you still wash dishes there? Do food prep?

Also, if you're wearing a mask to avoid inhaling any dye powders, should you honestly be doing this in the kitchen (or any food prep area for that matter)?

Honestly, I don't want to create a big fuss here, but I just want to make sure that anyone who does this does it safely. Especially since I want to try this some day, too, and since I also make wedding cakes in my kitchen, I don't want to run the risk of contaminating an area that should not be contaminated.

Thanks for the advice.

Odessa
Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 AM

Your color choices are perfect! They came out so nice! I don't think I could ever take on such a project, congrats!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:42 AM
rb.

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
rb, would you please clarify something for me? I know you said that all containers, etc., should be used ONLY for this process. But then you said you used your kitchen sink? Do you still wash dishes there? Do food prep?
Yes, I still wash dishes in my sink. I cleaned it really well, because it's one of those icky white resin (?) ones. If I had a stainless steel one (soon I hope), I'd just give it a good scrub, because it won't absorb any chemmies. Food prep...I covered my counter work area with a plastic table cloth. I don't let food touch the sink, even veggies while washing, so that's ok. The no-contact-with-food-containers thing, is, I believe, the dye companies covering themselves legally. However, I've only ever come across mention of the problem (online) next mentioned with the mask.

Also, if you're wearing a mask to avoid inhaling any dye powders, should you honestly be doing this in the kitchen (or any food prep area for that matter)?
I believe the mask is to avoid allergic reactions to some of the dye powders. They don't fly all over or anything, it's a relatively heavy powder. If your work area is covered, you don't have an iced cake sitting beside your work area, and you wipe down the rest of your counters, then I would think it should be fine. I don't put foods directly on my counter (but on a plate or cutting board) unless it's fruit or veggies about to be washed. And chances are they're covered in microscopic bits of manure, dirt or pesticides anyway.

Honestly, I don't want to create a big fuss here, but I just want to make sure that anyone who does this does it safely. Especially since I want to try this some day, too, and since I also make wedding cakes in my kitchen, I don't want to run the risk of contaminating an area that should not be contaminated.

Thanks for the advice.

Odessa
No problem, very good, logical questions/points. In our house, we have a saying...Safety First. LOL IF you have a laundry room, with a tub and a work area (counter, top of washer, dryer etc.), I would strongly recommend doing it there. IF you have a bathroom with a countertop larger than just a sink, and a tub that won't stain (like standard porcelain coated tubs, don't know about fiberglass), I'd do it there. Same with any kind of outbuilding with running water, or a garage. Kitchen is my last choice. You could mix the concentrates outside or in a different room, and then do the rest of your work in a kitchen to wipe out any chance of dye powder travelling. However, if using outbuildings, the water in the dye needs to be around room temp or warmer (not hot) to react. In a cold climate like mine, dyeing outside is out of the question the majority of the year due to the cold. As for rinsing out the fabric and dumping the dyes, that could be down down the toilet, in a bathtub, if you don't have a laundry tub. Doesn't need to be in your kitchen sink.

Think I got all of your questions. :D
Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 AM
rb.

I will try to do a pictoral tutorial (there's a mouthful!) soon. Today and tomorrow are out, I have some commitments. Hopefully over the weekend, when I can have someone else take the pictures at each stage as I do the work.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Great job. They came out beautiful. What method did you use?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Power Poster

I absolutely love them all!!! Good Job!!! :D :D :D