Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Most Recent WIP

Blog Entries
    this is what i've been working on since Thursday ...

still have 3 tulip blocks to put together before i can start on the quilting in sections.

Attached Images Attached Images

Patrice, So pretty!! I love the folded center of the star block. I started working with some folded pieces on some of my table runners and just love the dimension that it brings to a piece.

Lookin' good there Girl! Keep it up!

I love them I like that center is it hard to do? It realy makes the block

Blog Entries
    if you mean the folded flower/star, it's fairly easy once you've made a few.

i saw these on an episode of Simply Quilts. the first time i made one was right after i'd watched the show. years later, i couldn't remember how to do it so i went back to the episode page to go through the instructions. they confused the heck out of me and the pictures were too small to be useful.

also, the original version leaves all the edges raw. seems to me they wouldn't look good for long on anything that gets washed.

sooooooooooo i came up with my own way to make them. no raw edges. easier to assemble even with the extra sewing steps. i don't think i could explain it in words. would have to photgraph and document the steps.

no matter which way you make them, the first few might give you fits. once you find your "groove", though, you can crank out a pile in a very short time. i have a gazillion of 'em in different colors. they're for a few of my PIGs and IPIGS.

i've decided to make more, anyway, to use as cornerstones in the sashing i realized i'll have to add to make this quilt a decent size. i'll see if i can put together instructions that make sense to a normal person and not just to my rather "different" brain.

That quilt is beautiful, and the folded centers are the topper!! I would love to know how to do them as well. We are going to have a class on folded flowers at the quilt guild meeting next month, but I can't wait. Patrice, if you did anything here with a "normal" brain, we would think you were an imposter. We like you warped. :lol:

Blog Entries
    :mrgreen:

Show us more!!

p.s. I see you found Mr Green! :D

Patrice,
    This is going to be a lovely quilt. Thank you for sharing. I love to watch quilts evolve! Wating to see the next stage.
    :D

Waaaay cool, Patrice! Your perfect points are picture perfect! I too love the folded dimensional part. So creative of you!

Blog Entries
    thanks very much for all the compliments. i have to go really sloooooow on pointy things.

i think you guys deserve most of the credit. all the practice we're getting with the BsOM helps. but mostly, it's the really impressive - and inspiring - workmanship you guys share, the hints, and the encouragement that got those points so ... pointy.

thanks oodles and buckets and tons
    :P

P.S. i'll be working on it again this weekend for sure. not sure about tomorrow or friday evening. i'll make sure to photo the steps for the folded flower/stars and share.

Blog Entries
    it's been slooooow going but after a day of testing and rejecting different ideas, i have at least picked a direction to head.

no photos of the foldy flowers yet because i haven't gotten that far. i did open one again to show the other way they can be finished.

the plain fabric won't go into the quilt. that was a test and shows the motif more clearly than you can see it on the flowered fabric.

i didn't freemotion the motif. i stitch over a paper design then remove the paper. open-toe foot, dogs up. i experimented with freemotion (finally!) but have to go soooooooooooo slow and carefully i was afraid i'd be at it until next year, so i switched back to my regular method.

Blog Entries
    this was as far as i got with the freemotion test. that little bit took forever! and i think i broke a sweat!

the middle stitching was not freemotion. i was just testing stitch sizes in my standard method.

I think your stitching is great! Keep up the good work. After a few with the patterns you will feel more comfy and try the freemotion again I bet! Love the work so far.

Blog Entries
    Keep 'em coming!

You did REALLY good!!!! Your stitches look great & your design is clear!!! Rock on Girl!!! You're off to a great start!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    thanks very much. :P

one question ... which helps you go faster and make more reasonably sized but even stitches?
    sewing when the moon is blue on your left foot ... tongue out to the right?

or just-plain full moon, right foot, tongue to left?

or should i go get another bottle of that cough syrup?

:lol: Tongue left, right foot, & a "cough syrup" mixture of 3 parts Southern Comfort, 1 part honey with a sprinkle of lemon (optional on the lemon & honey)!! Got to keep those shoulders loose ya know!! :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    with that mixture, i won't care if it comes out right or not.
    :wink:

:shock: Oh, you need it to be right??

Not bad. *L*

tim in san jose

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Next time, don't mix it with that tequila.

tim in san jose

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Next time, don't mix it with that tequila.

tim in san jose
    buzz kill
    :roll:

Patrice this quilt is so beautiful. I keep coming back and looking at it. I love the colors.

Back a while ago you were explaining how you put sashing on the front of a quilt when you quilt as u go. Are you going to do this time also, and if you are would you consider taking pics, because I really cannot picture how you do this . Dont feel obligated you can say no. I know you are busy.

Mary

Boo
    Patrice, looks like you well on your way with your machine quilting! A couple of suggestions would be, not to use caffeine prior to quilting and relax. When I started machine quilting, it took me forever cause I would have to take long breaks because of the searing pain in my shoulders and back. Make sure the bed of machine is even with bent elbows. If you have your machine above that level you are putting strain on muscles by being in an unnatural position. This was the single most useful information I received and it has made all the difference.
    Keep plugging away, you are doing a great job! I am very glad to see you realize the importance of tongue position. :lol:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast