Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My quilt is getting smaller!! >

My quilt is getting smaller!!

My quilt is getting smaller!!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 AM

Your quilt looks great but I understand where you're coming from.
When I first started quilting one thing my teacher stressed was measure, measure,measure. May be if you are folding several times before you cut that is causing a problem. Better to measure and mark the quilt before you cut. Saves so much stress and less ripping out.
We are each our own harshest critic. Something my quilting friends & I have discovered is not to judge what we see up close. When one of is not sure the others will hold up the quilt and the owner gets to view it as it will be seen on the bed. A view of the whole quilt not just the block or whatever is causing us to be unhappy.
When it is on the bed that is what we see- the whole quilt.
You have done a fabulous job for your first quilt..
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM

You can see the mistake because you know where it is. This has happened to me before. The material is printed and very bright and that would make the mistake harder to see unless it is pointed out.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM

It looks great--Id finish it!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM

I think it looks wonderful. I think there is always at least one mistake in every project that I do. :)
Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM

[quote=oma66]Nothing is perfect and if you are looking for P E R F E C T you will kill yourself trying to acheive it. We are all trying for perfection, and that is not the same thing as PERFECT. I say let it go, put on the third border and stand back and admire your first quilt. Your son is not going to be looking for imperfections, he is going to be loving the quilt his mom made for him. Isn't that what is most important? The quilt is wonderful and the colors are great...you have done a beautiful job on the quilt.

I think this is so true - get it finished, feel you've accomplished something tremendous cos you will have, and let Tomi have his quilt. There are many more quilts just waiting to be made by you and with each one you will get better and then you'll be posting your own tips and how to's. We all had a first quilt and I can tell you the corner squares were way off on mine.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Honey, that just adds character to your quilt!

Think of it this way, as he begins to grow and you begin to grow as a quilter you can look back and say wow when he was just a little guy I made this quilt. Now he's so big and I'm so much better!

Peg
Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Your first? Great job. If those blocks are off, it sure doesn't show from here. Don't be so hard on yourself. DH is right. Its just perfect
Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 PM

You do what I do, spend too much time with it...the mistakes get magnified in your mind. I never know when to stop. I think it's wonderful, your son will treasure it!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM

You did a beautiful job on this quilt! I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong if you hadn't mentioned it. As others have said the flaws in our quilts is what give them character.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
bjr

I ALWAYS square up my blocks before I sew them together - you would be amazed at how much difference this makes when sewing the blocks together.