Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My quilt is getting smaller!! >

My quilt is getting smaller!!

My quilt is getting smaller!!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Okay, for the life of me I don't see what you're talking about. Your quilt is great!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by kwilter
Please lay out your future quilts flat, never folded, and use a 12" or 15" square ruler to square the corners, moving up the sides with a 6"x24" ruler. Then carefully measure the width of the quilt through its middle and the length also through the middle. These measurements wil give you the precise length and width of the borders, top, bottom and sides. You will be happy with the results. Check out the YouTube tutorials for a lot of info on attaching borders, etc., I like Missouri Star Quilt Shop tutes the best. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great directions here! And if you can, get yourself a Big Board which fits on top of your ironing board. It is about 55 inches long. They have a cutting mat that fits it exactly. I have found that when I am cutting it helps to push the ruler up against the wall. This keeps it from slipping sideways and keeps the cut more accurate. Also, I think someone else mentioned to not fold when squaring up a quilt. I love your quilt and so will your son. Happy quilting.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM

What an adorable quilt!!!! where did you get the pattern? I would love to make it for my grandson.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by ssnare
It is not that noticeable. Finish it the way it is. Then you will be free to start on something new. One of the instructors of a class I took, said she puts at least one mistake into every quilt to make it personal. Then she does not tell anyone what that mistake is. Usually no one notices.
I read that the Amish do this on purpose because God is the only perfect one. Anybody else hear this?
I've heard it also. It's called a humility block.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM

I like it the way it is, you did a great job, your greatgrandson will just love it.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Finish it the way it is - you have to really look to see what the problem is and I don't think your son is going to care. Put your last border on and get it quilted so he can use it. I have found that I need to square up each of my blocks to the right size before sewing them into strips. And I always pin where I want the edges to meet. It's so worth the extra time to do that. But, really, you've done an excellent job. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

That is a great quilt. You should feel proud.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

You son's quilt looks great to me.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Welcome to the world of quilting. We all have made many many mistakes and still do but learn to live with them and learn from them. I always make sure each square is true to it's size before I join them, that helps a bunch. I always measure each side before I put on the borders. If you measured the squares they should be really close, if they are off a little I make the sashing the same for each side and make the fabric fit and I do that for each border, if you just sew the border on it becomes wavy. I mark the center of each border and each side I'm putting it on and pin them together and then pin the sides to the border. And even after this sometimes GRRRRRR it still isn't quite right so I give up and decide wavy ain't all that bad. Your quilt is wonderful, you should be very proud of yourself and no one other than you is going to notice any imperfections it may have just don't tell them like I do.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 PM

Neat quilt. While reading the post, having not scrolled down far enough to see your pics yet, I was thinking oh, my goodness, what is this quilt going to look like. You made me laugh. It's a great quilt. You should've seen my first quilt. Knit, polyester, cotton. Machine quilted every 12". MIL asked me who made my puff quilt. Wasn't a puff quilt. Was supposed to be a log cabin. When it was washed the first time the batting balled up in the middle of each block. Only suggestion I would have is to not trim up your quilts while they are folded, always single layer. I am still smiling thinking if she could only see my puff quilt.