Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Quilt Studio "under" the rafters. >

My Quilt Studio "under" the rafters.

My Quilt Studio "under" the rafters.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Thanks for the ideas! I can visualize the pull out storage but not the display wall. I think the pieces of fabric would fall off the ceiling. I know I eyeballed all that flat surface above me too.
I'm like you, I don't think a flannel display wall would hold blocks on those slopes, but I think a Block Butler might, because it is definitely sticky to touch. Otherwise, what about the kind of display wall that some people use, that is like a roller blind? If you fixed it to one of those sloping ceilings, when you pulled it down, it would hang straight.

You have a terrific room, and I envy you all that space.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 PM

WOW! Can I come play at your house? What a wonderful room.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 PM

Wow! You have a nice studio to display sewing machines. I saw your featherweight box on one dresser/cabinet. I can picture more vintage machines displayed on those beautiful dressers. Or you could drape a lap size quilt over a portion of one, or make a quilted table runner.
That one tall wall by the door could be use as your display wall for quilts that you rotate around through the year. That is if you don't mind finding a new location for that tall cabinet that sits in front of the wall. Or leave the tall cabinet there, but open up the doors to show off your finished quilts or pretty material stash. Place a vintage machine that you will not be using on top of that tall cabinet. Love the fact that you have lots of windows to bring in nature light. Does that striped basket have any items in it? Love all your storage space. You need a treadle in this room, a must. Is that a coffin in the back by the green chairs? You are one lucky gal.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Nice room.

I'd suggest a folding cutting table. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd830869 JoAnn's sells them, as do other sewing/quilting supply sites. I love mine. They can be folded down & take up little room. It has wheels, so it's easily to move. Mine sits up all the time tho. I got the big cutting mat to go with mine. I used to crawl around on the floor too, but no more. They aren't big enough to lay a full size quilt on, but it's much easier on the knees & back & great for cutting.

My sewing room is in a small bedroom, with a tiny closet. My huz says it's dangerous in my sewing room, LOL. I have a big old metal desk with one machine sitting on it, a 2nd machine in a sewing cabinet. My serger sits on the end of the cabinet leaf. My coverstich machine is sitting on a file cabinet & I have to move/set it up where the serger is when I want to use it. I have a folding cutting table, 2 sections of stackable shelving. There's a path from the door to my machines. Small TV up on the wall. I purchased heavy duty plastic shelving at Lowes & a rolling cart (got that at Wal-Mart) with 5 drawers. I also use the very large totes that I can stack on the floor. On one of the shelves I have smaller stackable totes for other items. I tend to buy everything in bulk, so I have separate totes for marking pencils, elastic, thread, buttons/snaps/etc. I quilt & do garment sewing as well, so I have tons of sewing items. I'd love a bigger room, but that's not possible. My industrial sewing machine is in a 2nd bedroom, that we also use for exercise equipment & it also has a full size bed & file cabinet. I have to move the one exercise machine to use the sewing machine. We're crammed in.

What you choose all depends on what it is you need to store. One idea may be to have some sort of movable shelving built for your storage closets. Sort of like kitchen pantries, where you can pull them out & shove them back in. You might be able to buy pre-made shelving & add wheels to it. I'd go look at the options at Lowes or Home Depot & see what you can come up with. They have plastic & metal shelving. I think you can also get wire bins, which could be mounted to shelving. These sites might give you some ideas on what's available(look thru all the catagories): http://www.containerstore.com/welcom...FYs65QodFjrKCw

http://www.organizeworld.com/

A design wall (I don't have one)...maybe you could have someone make you a fold down wall on wheels.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 PM

Totally awesome I'm loving your Beautiful sewing room :D :thumbup:
Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tolepainter54
WOW! Can I come play at your house? What a wonderful room.
Playtime is Thursday night from about 6:30 to 10 pm. My other buddies come too. Might be a bit of a long drive from Fresno though.

:thumbup:
Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 PM

I wonder if you could use one of those room dividers that would be freestanding. Then you could mount your cork board or styrofoam covered with felt on the back side for a display board while using the other side for storage? Just as thought. Or even build a room divider (on wheels if you like) that is flat on both sides for where you could have 2 display boards & be working on more than one project at a time? Something similar to the old chalkboards that were able to be wheeled into a classroom. Ok...that's my contribution of ideas..Hope you find one you like!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM

Oh man, what I wouldn't do to have your studio. First I would rearrange the furniture so I could set up a folding cutting table (or 2). There's no way I could be up and down on the carpet. The cutting mat could be hidden under the carpet when not in use to keep it flat. Yep-I've done this in a pinch. The sliding shelves for your fabric is the way to go.

With all these suggestions, I know you'll use your creativeness and put it all together to your liking. Have fun!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 AM

I don't know if this would work or not, but for displaying wall-sized quilts you could use two of those 'pincher' type boards per quilt - one at the top and one at the bottom. If the sides of the quilt needed support also, you could use either small appliqué pins or another set of boards. This type of hanging may give you room for a few smaller quilts along the sloped walls.

I also think the rolling/folding tables would be good - or else just set up a large table in the center with the wire or wooden baskets underneath it for storage. The table could be multi-purpose. That would mean a rearrangement of some of the furniture, but it could possibly be done along one sloping wall as well.

Beautiful room :)
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 AM

Wow!!!! I love it.