Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my sewing corner >

my sewing corner

my sewing corner

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM

We have a very tiny house (living space is about 830 sq ft). So, there isn't much space for a "quilting ROOM". But, my dear, dear DH has done so much to help me out. Take a peek...

He made a cutting table which fits the large size cutting board (he put a lip around 3 sides, so it doesn't slide around, but is easy to remove/replace by sliding out the 4th side). It is wiast high, and so comfotable and easy to use.

Under the cutting table, he made a slide out pressing table. The top has batting and fabric to cushion. Under that is space for 4 baskets to hold current projects and other odds and ends. They are not quite as wide as the shelf they sit on, and so I have a ceramic tile to set my hot iron on so I can slide the pressing table out of the way. Also there is still another tiny space that I keep a brown bag with salt, so I can clean my iron once in awhile.

I confiscated a little computer desk, it has enough space to keep the sewing machine on most of the time. Below the top it has a shelf for the keyboard - I use this to hold a calculator and little baskets with pens, threads, needles, etc, etc, etc.

Above the desk are some Dollar Store baskets that hold tools, templates, and various odds and ends.

On the end away from the machine, I even have a couple things tucked under the desk (like a tote which holds all 40 fabrics of 1" squares, for a project I think I will NEVER get done! Uggh!!). Also, my acrylic extension for the sewing machine.

To the right of the desk is a large white board, so I can put notes and sketches (or TO-DO lists) where I will see them.
In the corner is the old sewing machine cabinet that I found in the dumpster last year. Read about that here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42596-1.htm. On top that I have some boxes, with labels of projects, or fabrics for projects.

Tucked in between it all is some paper for sketches and playing with patterns, a quilt rack with a WIP, and hidden behind the rack is my black light (for cyanotype printing), the extensions so I can use the pressing/cutting table as a large table for FMQ, and my John Flynn frame rods.

Not too bad for such a tiny space - thanks mainly to my DH.

A small step plus a curved piece make it so I can have the entire cutting table to support quilts as I FMQ.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182731[/ATTACH]

In a tiny space is a quilt rack for WIP & place for papers to design, and a few other things.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182732[/ATTACH]

Baskets on shelves above desk hold supplies and tools.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182733[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182725.jpe   attachment-182726.jpe   attachment-182727.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 AM

What a great space- you have everything you need! You & your husband have done a good job of maximizing the room you have!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Such a great us of space. I now have a rather large sewing room, but I never cared how big it was as long as I had a space I could leave my sewing stuff set up. :)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Great use of space!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM

I love your little sewing area andthe pull out table that your DH did for you it all looks so cozy!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

well I think it is awesome, nice and cozy...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Great job! I have seen some of the nicest, prettiest quilts that came out of a "sewing room" that was nothing more than a cubby hole.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 PM

You have the most wonderful area for all your sewing and stash of toys. Your husband did a fantastic job of making your space functional and efficient.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Awesome area ... your DH is definitely a keeper.

Susan
Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM

awesome space !!