Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My sewing room- finally!-- hopefully w pics >

My sewing room- finally!-- hopefully w pics

My sewing room- finally!-- hopefully w pics

Old 08-01-2014, 09:58 AM

What a fantastic sewing room! Love, love, love, the wood floor!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 AM

The quilt blocks border are not the same blocks that you see in an actual Dear Jane quilt. I just chose different quilt patterns that I liked or have already made but compared them to a "dj" quilt because the only blocks that are the same are the ones above the windows or doors.I didn't know that the "dj" only had certain blocks in the pattern. I just thought that it meant that every block was different.So, I screwed up. My apologies, for comparing it to a "dj" or calling it a "dj".
The blocks above the windows or doors are the same pattern on the same wall, and they were painted differently to make them different-- For instance the double wedding rings that appear in one of the pics.1 is multicolored with a yellow background- the other is red & white on a black background.Another wall has 4 patch on points, and the 3rd wall has flying geese above the windows, door, or a/c. The 4th wall has the door leading to the upstairs hallway, and because the door reaches the ceiling, I do not have a quilt pattern above it.
The hard part was narrowing it down to just the 51 squares. I made each square12" and measured out to find out how many I could get on 1 wall, then spaced them accordingly. I drew the patterns on with pencil, then spent more hours than should have been by painting them with a small brush.The paint I used is what is used on ceramics or arts-and can be washed off with water. There were several that once painted- I changed my mind on the colors- so repainted! After I was finally satisified with my choices, I put a clear sealant over the quilt blocks so that they would not accidently get washed off. There is a texture on the walls, but it is one that is smooth enought to allow a roller brush to paint over it and not leave paintless spots. So the littlest brush that I owned did help in painting a straight edge to the pictures. If you get up close- you can see some of the wavy edges!It took me almost a year of painting to complete the entire room's upper edge. Can I call it a quilt border? What can I call it that is the correct name without infering it to mean something else?
Most of the people that know me, think I was nuts for doing something like that. To them, it looks ok- but they wouldn't have done that. That is ok-I am the one that will live with it! And I love it!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 AM

Looks like a great place to go create something! Have fun!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 AM

Looks like a great place. Lots of storage, lots of good lighting, and lots of room to move around. Love it!!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:17 AM

What a great space! You and your DH did a wonderful job and you will enjoy this room for years to come!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:22 AM

I'm moving, love your workspace, home away from home..
Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 AM

Beautiful room. Love the paintings around the top of the walls. I am envious!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 AM

Great room, but....I didn't see any machines! Those babies have to be out and on display, ready to go all the time! 😄😄😄
Old 08-02-2014, 04:10 AM

That must have taken quite a long time to paint all those quilt blocks. What a wonderful idea. Looks terrific!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 AM

What a wonderful room! I can't even imagine how long it took you to paint the Dear Jane blocks, but WOW! they are gorgeous!!! That is an amazing room.