Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Sons Scrappy Quilt is Done!! >

My Sons Scrappy Quilt is Done!!

My Sons Scrappy Quilt is Done!!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 PM

Wow! It looks great Billy!! :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Absolutely great. I bet he loves the symmetry.

I have an autistic son too...he's 8. He likes to sit on the floor and listen to my sewing machine. He can pick out when my bobbin runs out long before I can. He says it sounds different. I've had this blasted machine for 7 years and I still can't hear it.

I made him a Disappearing Nine Patch for Christmas with his two favorite things. Thomas the Train and Mater from CARS. I'm hoping to get him to help me on some art projects I was inspired with from another quilter on this board. He's very artsy and I would love to get some of his drawings in fabric on the wall.

You did great.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!!

I think that this quilt is my favorite one for some odd reason. I like how colorful it is I suppose.

I have an autistic son too...he's 8. He likes to sit on the floor and listen to my sewing machine. He can pick out when my bobbin runs out long before I can. He says it sounds different. I've had this blasted machine for 7 years and I still can't hear it.
These kids can pick up on a lot of things we miss somehow. I had one of his teachers tell me the his mind is going 900 miles per hour and his body is trying its best to keep up with it. And even with him being nonverbal he understands every little thing you say.

I told his mom that he is smarter than we are, he gets everything he wants and then some and he doesnt have to do anything but what he wants. I always tell him he has a good thing going and dont screw it up and he will just smile a big ol smile!!!! He is like "do you really think I am that stupid"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Thanks for the compliments everyone!!!

These kids can pick up on a lot of things we miss somehow. I had one of his teachers tell me the his mind is going 900 miles per hour and his body is trying its best to keep up with it. And even with him being nonverbal he understands every little thing you say.

I told his mom that he is smarter than we are, he gets everything he wants and then some and he doesnt have to do anything but what he wants. I always tell him he has a good thing going and dont screw it up and he will just smile a big ol smile!!!! He is like "do you really think I am that stupid"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

My husband completely agrees with you. We are always planning activities, or trying to, around his interests and trying to plan things he would find fun. We always make accomodations for him and we are lucky that the other two kids haven't noticed that. They seem to be along for the ride.

Ironically enough, buffet restaurants are his favorites if they aren't too crowded. He loves having a different plate for each trip...course he so wants a different plate per item. He said when he grows up he's going to buy me more plates and good dishwashing soap so he can eat food by itself. He's so funny.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 AM

What a great way to use up scraps of material and so helpful for your DS. He may be a quilter in the making if he likes sewing strips together on the treadle. Treasure every moment with your DS. You're a very special person to deal with this situation and help him reach his potential.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

How'd I miss your pics, Billy? I love how it turned out.....looks just gorgeous on his bed.....he's a lucky boy.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

He loves it!!

He goes to a day program 3 days a week and when I have to go in there and get him up for breakfast he has it wadded all around him hugging it for life!!

I told him since that was a light weight quilt we would use it for the summer and I would make him one for the fall and winter that was a little heavier. He just grinned at me so big!!

Now I am twirling ideas around my head as to what it will be. I was toying with making an Autism Awareness quilt (I have a new bolt of the fabric) but I am thinking about doing something different now. He knows he is Autistic so no need in reminding him every nite and morning when he sees it.

So I will sit and ponder and look at the magazines as they come in to get a few ideas.

Billy
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 PM

I can see why your son loves his quilt, he has such a loving father who made it for him, it's so lovely :thumbup:
Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Google Goddess

beautiful colors for your sons quilt
Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
beautiful colors for your sons quilt
Thank you :D

I will say a "scrappy" is a hard type of quilt to make. You really do not know where your going to use colors and I had to be careful where I put a fabric and not get it out of balance. But I think it turned out really nice!

Billy