Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My sweet grandma made this 4 me

My sweet grandma made this 4 me

I love my grandma she is the one who sparked the quilt bug in me. She hand quilted to supplement her and papa's income for years and just recently due to her health she had to stop and will cry when she thinks about how much she misses quilting for people. She did not like to piece the though only quilt but she absolutely loves to embroidery! That woman has embroidered soo many things through her lifetime! Her favorite thing is to order the full size embroidery quilts from Herrshcnerrs and go to town on those. I have a tree of life quilt embroidery quilt that she made me for my wedding. My favorite memories is sitting together embroidering and talking and just enjoying one anothers company this started at age 5 she set me down with needle and thread but even though I enjoyed embroidery I kept wanting to do patchwork!! And she ALWAYS had a beautiful quilt set up downstairs in her frame that she was working on.. I would sneak down stairs and run my hands up and down that beautiful quilt marveling at her ability to make the quilt pop with her stitches. i have so many memories I can go on and on but let it suffice to say she is a wonderful lady whom I adore!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ELIZAJANE

What a beautiful keepsake.
    Linda

Just beautiful, thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Those are really beautiful.

Your story about your grand mom is very touching. Her work is just beautiful and I am sure that you treasure it. I have always felt that these ladies were and are such gems. How many people had beautiful quilts, clothing and treasured keepsakes because of ladies like them. Like your grand mom, my mother sewed for a living supporting 4 kids on her sewing machine. She actually went through a new Singer sewing machine every couple of years because she wore them out. In her later years she also worked for several dry cleaners doing all their repairs and alterations. There were many times that she sewed up into the wee hours of the morning because she had a "job" that had to be completed for someone. Between sewing for others and keeping us kids in homemade clothes, I don't know how she had time for much else but somehow she always had time for me when I asked her to make clothes for my dolls. Like you I adored my mom. God Bless them all.

Beautiful work and happy memories too!!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Quote Originally Posted by barbo117 View Post
    Your story about your grand mom is very touching. Her work is just beautiful and I am sure that you treasure it. I have always felt that these ladies were and are such gems. How many people had beautiful quilts, clothing and treasured keepsakes because of ladies like them. Like your grand mom, my mother sewed for a living supporting 4 kids on her sewing machine. She actually went through a new Singer sewing machine every couple of years because she wore them out. In her later years she also worked for several dry cleaners doing all their repairs and alterations. There were many times that she sewed up into the wee hours of the morning because she had a "job" that had to be completed for someone. Between sewing for others and keeping us kids in homemade clothes, I don't know how she had time for much else but somehow she always had time for me when I asked her to make clothes for my dolls. Like you I adored my mom. God Bless them all.
    That is such an inspiring story! I am sure her love for her children kept her going!
    ELIZAJANE

Power Poster
    what a treasue!!!
    QUILTNMO

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your wonderful story about your grandmother...you're very fortunate to have her!
    Lynn

Blog Entries
    those are just lovely.

The keepsakes are so much better when they're tied to memories of time spent with the one who made them.

These are such a sweet gift! I love your story too.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing! My GM was wonderful, too, and started me sewing at about 4 or 5. Now I am a GM and I am teaching my precious little ones to sew. I think of her every day and know she is sitting on my shoulder. I treasure every moment I spent with her and I adore all the things I have that were hers....so special. I hope I am making those memories for mine.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work and what a lovely story about your gran mom, you are so fortunate to have her with you. I only remember one grandfather and I was eight years old when he passed. Thanks for letting us share your beautiful memories.

Blog Entries
    What a sweet story. She sounds like a wonderful lady. Enjoy her.

Very beautiful.
    Malega K.

Those are beautiful. What a wonderful gift.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.