Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My very own fix it man!

Blog Entries
    My very own fix it man! DH working on a Singer my daughter bought me at a yard sale for $5 earlier this summer. The other one I used to fill bobbins. I tried to set a machine up for Joey(DGS) this weekend and neither one would work! So DH has decided to see if he can figure out the problem. If it has a motor it fascinates him. He was a mechanic in the army and as a hobby til his health prevents him from working on cars. But he grew up as a jack of all trades and has a fair knowledge of a lot of things so even tho he can't concentrate very long at one time he likes to putter around with fixing things. He is working on them as I type this. Will let you know if he gets it fixed! LOL

I looked up and saw him sitting at the sewing machine and I asked him if he was going to learn to quilt! He just laughed! DH is disabled. He had a brain injury 30 yrs ago. He can't concentrate for long or he has black outs. but he loves to putter. He learned to sew in the Army. So he does know how to hand sew.

Attached Images Attached Images

JJs
    Banned
    I think he has a wonderful wife who loves him no matter what...
    I read the part about him having a brain injury and being disabled and you're still there after 30 years..... you are one special lady......

kudos to both of you...

and ps, my DH drives me to quilt guild AND made his own quilt for show and tell :D

Rhonda, That sounds (and looks) like one great hubby you have! My hubby is a jack of all trades, as well. Sorry to hear about his injury. Maybe keep buying different brands of machines with different things wrong for him to fix?? ;)

Blog Entries
    Awwww what a sweetie!!! I bet he is enjoying the dickens out of working on this machine 8) 8) 8)
    Maybe that is an idea? $5 machines for him to tinker on here and there?

Blog Entries
    He sure looks focused.

You are one lucky woman! My DH is not disabled and asks me to fix his sutff. I do like working on machines though.
    Your husband looks like he's enjoying the task. :lol:

Blog Entries
    thanks everyone! Yeah he is a keeper tho we have had our ups and downs and some of them are doozies at times!! I was just venting in my PDA about him expecting me to be 2 steps behind the grands at all times!! LOL We will celebrate 35 years of marriage Jan 19th this year.

He is great at helping me figure out how to do projects I dream up! We have put transmissions in cars / built walls in our house/ and lots more. I wanted to paint my kitchen red and thought he would draw the line at that but all he said was that might work! He is always supportive when I want to do any putting up shelves or I sunk a sink in a dresser and he did the sawing at the time and the plumbing. He would get mad at me tho as I had a habit of leaning into it when I did the dishes and that would strain the pipes til they would leak.

So when I had to discard the dresser due to too many leaks I found an old harvest table and had my cousin cut the hole out ( he thought I was nuts!) and sunk my sink in it. It is handicapped accessible from both sides. And I learned my lesson I had him put rods through the legs and then into the concrete floor. It can't move!! I had Randy do it instead because by then Glen was getting to where he couldn't do big projects anymore.

maybe let a few friends know at the LQS that he tinkers with sewing machines....bound to be a few more machines around for him to tinker with.......

Rhonda what a sweet couple you two are and I hope he can fix it too.

Blog Entries
    Well it wants to lock up and he had it sewing and then it locked up again so not sure what the problem is. He can't work on anything too long at one time so maybe he can try again another day. It didn't have a bobbin it and I put one in that fits but that might be part of it. It isn't letting the bobbin do it's job. Now it won't move at all so he'll have to try again later.

Hope he is successful and gets the machine to run as it should. If not, it will be an ongoing project. There are times when I tear into something, not knowing what I am doing. I figure it is already broken, I can't hurt it more!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    I think he has a wonderful wife who loves him no matter what...
    I read the part about him having a brain injury and being disabled and you're still there after 30 years..... you are one special lady......

kudos to both of you...

and ps, my DH drives me to quilt guild AND made his own quilt for show and tell :D
    Sweet, sweet Love!! I also have a quilting man, and it has given us so much joy to sew together and share "my" quilt room! :D

What a lovely pic. It's really heartwarming to hear your story. Makes you realise what a lot of love and committment can accomplish. I congratulate you! I'm sure he'll work out what the problem is...and have fun tinkering around 'til that happens.

Blog Entries
    He fights depression alot because he can't do awhole lot. He sits in our bedroom alot in his wheelchair-he has a tv and computer in there but he can't be on them for very long and doesn't really do much. He has blackouts and times when he doesn't function well so it is so great when I see him up and doing something that makes him happy. I just had to share this as it was so funny to me to see him working at a sewing machine!! He does keep my antique Singer oiled for me and if I have a problem he comes in and helps figure out what's wrong. Haven't had to take it to anyone yet to have anything fixed. It's a 1950 reproduction of an 1850's Singer. So it has aches and pains from time to time. I've had it for almost 30 yrs and I sew on it most every day for the last 11 years at least!

What a wonderful DH!! It's awesome that he can do that for you..

I have to ask though, the Singer he's working on.. is that a 301 by chance? I have a tan/mocha one and just LOVE it!! If you got it for $5, you got a GREAT deal!

What a great guy. I hope he gets it running.

Blog Entries
    Here is my $5 Singer. Sara called me when she found it and wanted to know if I wanted it. I figured I would keep it as a collectible even if it didn't work so I said yes. So whether it ever works or not I don't really care but if it can be made to work of course is the best thing.

The metal plate on the side there has 403 A at the top so I suppose that is the model #? I have such a hard time trying to use any machine besides my own Singer. It is so hard to figure out how to thread them and where things are on them and where things go!! The bobbin area on each one is so differant.

I also have a machine my mom gave me but I don't remember what it is.

That's one of the best machines ever made! He should be able to work on it and get it running. Parts are still available and guidence if you need it on the web. There are several vintage Singer Yahoo groups with knowlegable nice people. You gotta love those old Singers. I have way too many of them but I just can't resist buying them.
    'Hope you both enjoy this wonderful machine. Mary
    PS it threads the same as the 500 series. Manuals are readily available for free download on many Singer sites and Yahoo groups. Try Singer Slant Sewing sites. If you can't find one let me know.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    I guess I have started my own sewing machine collection!! I really didn't do it on purpose. The Necchi I bought from my friend Dorothy because my antique Singer the bobbin part needs to be fixed. So I used that one to wind bobbins til I bought my side winder. And the White is the one my mom gave me. Her brother gave it to her and she didn't want it. She doesn't sew.

Necchi Lydia mk2
    Name:  Attachment-55629.jpe
Views: 1554
Size:  29.2 KB

White
    Name:  Attachment-55630.jpe
Views: 321
Size:  34.1 KB

Tuesy,
    How many machines DO you have?
    Kirsten

Rhonda.. that's a great machine!! If your DH is about to get it going, she's gonna be great to piece on... and sew on just about anything you can throw at her.

I love my 301.. here's what she looks like. with her fancy smancy fabric guide.. (love painters tape) .similar to yours, but your's has a few more gadgets on it than mine does.. and for $5, that's even better!!

Kirsten.. I have 4..Ellegante..used mainly for embroidery, Innovis 4000D upgraded to a 4500D...used mainly for FMQ and pieceing before I got my 301, an Evolve Serger and then my 301. I sold my Featherweight and bought the 301. Best move I ever made. DD has a Innovis 1000 as she likes to embroider too and I'm selfish and don't let her or her brother use my machines.
    How many machines DO you have?

My 301
    Name:  Attachment-53739.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  44.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Wow Tuesy they are sisters aren't they! I am so used to my old singer I would have to get used to anything else but I wanted a backup for when I have trouble with mine.

Here's my everyday machine. This is my 1950's repro of a 1850's Singer. I traced the model to get this info. I love my sewing machine. It is simple with no confusing gadgets. It is easy to thread and easy to load the bobbin. The thing that throws me on other machines is figuring out how to load the bobbins. So frustrating! And I rarely have a manual to follow.

I don't do any complicated sewing so this works for me just fine. It has a knee pedal which I like. I have always hated the foot pedals because you have to keep finding them. I do get frustrated with the knee pedal tho at times. It is a rod that pushes through a metal guide and it comes out of the guide at times. Haven't figured out how to stop it doing that.

Mine is also in its own cabinet and when I have gone to use another machine the differance in height bothers me.

So how many machines do you (anyone) have? Share your pics here of your machines if you like. Would love to see what everyone has!

Awww, so cute! It's wonderful he can fix things! He looks like he's ready to make a quilt tho :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
    Awww, so cute! It's wonderful he can fix things! He looks like he's ready to make a quilt tho :D
    That's what I thought too Suzi! I asked him if he was going to learn to quilt and he just laughed! He can't concentrate alot so probably not. But it is something he could do if he wanted. He has said in times past he wished he could help me so I could get caught up. Never know he might catch the bug! He does darn his own clothes when need be. And he isn't half bad at it. He learned to do that in the army. I couldn't darn if my life depended on it!

Blog Entries
    I wish I had a fix it man. Mine just sits around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast