Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need help please >

Need help please

Need help please

Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 AM

If she were a REALLY, REALLY dear friend of mine (and I didn't need the money), I would simply finish it and give it to her as a Christmas gift. I make things because I enjoy it and I give things because I enjoy sharing parts of myself.

I don't need to make money off of everything I do. And, if it made her happy, no amount of money would make me feel as good.

By the way, the quilt is beautiful.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

If she reads some of the ads for quilts, she may be basing her offer on those prices.

You know, those "any size quilt for $49.99" ones

I think it is reasonable for you to clue her in on what your actual out-of-pocket expenses were to make it.

And then go into the time involved.

Then - I see four options:

1) Give it to her

2) Recover only the cost of materials

3) Recover the cost of materials plus maybe $0.05/hour for your time

4) Charge what it would cost to buy a similar quilt at a specialty store
Old 10-25-2010, 08:23 AM

Even tho she is on a fixed income, she could probably make payments--that is if you trust her to keep her word---so then you could charge what your time is worth!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Charge her what is in your heart.

It is a beautiful quilt too.

Paper piece or templates.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Dawn, Your quilt is very beautiful! I don't know about pricing either but perhaps you could start with the price of the materials you have in it and add a tad more.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 AM

If she is a very close and dear friend a gift would be appropriate. That being said, if I ever made a double wedding ring I'd have a very hard time parting with it. I bought a dwr quilt because I knew I'd probably never make one.
Look at the old country store and check out their prices. They run from $600 - $1000+ for a dwr.
Here's one similar to yours.
http://www.theoldcountrystore.com/qu...ng&col1=&col2=
Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 AM

I do love your fabrics in this quilt. One day I want to do that pattern and your colors are perfect!
Far as price...it is worth alot. But you have had plenty of advice from the others so I need not say more. I am surprised you are willing to sell it!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 AM

When you started making this quilt, what were your intentions for it? Was it for you? Or to sell? Or to give to someone? Or to worry about overpricing it if a dear friend wanted to buy it?

That's where I start when faced with that problem. If the dear friend thinks the price is too high, then she doesn't buy it. I have someone now who badly wants a Bow Tucks tote that I made. Not only can't she afford it, but she doesn't even carry a purse so I'm not giving in or going down on my price. She can use that money to buy necesseties....like food and medicine. She has to borrow money from friends and relatives every month as it is. I hope your friend isn't in that situation but if she can afford to pay for it in installments, then go for it.

I don't mean to sound cold hearted towards my friend. I give her plenty already. She is a compulsive buyer and often has to return something to have money to eat.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 AM

One problem with asking her what she wants to pay you, is this: If she states an amount way too low, you may feel bad if you sell it for that OR if you increase the amount, either way. If you do decide to ask her to make an offer, you might want to show her a written estimate of how much you paid for the fabric, thread, and any other materials you used. The Double Wedding Ring is not the easiest pattern to make, and it involves using more fabric, more cutting time, and more sewing than most non-quilters would realize.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM

I would steer clear of any type of payment plans - that could easily ruin a good friendship if things went sour... happens all the time with friends and family. It;s essentially a loan with even more strings attached.

Is a barter system an option? Are there any skills or items she can offer you as sort of a trade?