Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need your eye for  this 20 floral fabric spread for a Bargello >

Need your eye for this 20 floral fabric spread for a Bargello

Need your eye for this 20 floral fabric spread for a Bargello

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by gotthebug
Barnbum, I hardly feel comfortable giving YOU advise. I think you are one of the quilters on here that everyone learns from. Every time I see that you have posted, I quickly look at your latest posting because I know it will be top notch. I love the colors and prints you have chosen here for this project. I just can't wait to see it finished.
Oh gosh, you are so sweet to say that. But I was just thinking today that it seems with every project I undertake, what can go wrong, does go wrong. If one was here watching me, it'd be more "don't do what I just did" lessons. :lol: I have way too many questions for someone to learn from me--unless one has never made one quilt. Then I might be able to teach something. :lol: :roll:
Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
How about a darker green with green leaves or grass so it would give an impression of being a dark.

Never mind, it might take away from the blues. Duh.
Well--I had this one in for a long time, and recently took it out. Does it fit? If so, where???

Here was another lay out option...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158249[/ATTACH]

This one is quite dark at the end, but I kind of like the one above better....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158292[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157744.jpe   attachment-158244.jpe   attachment-158287.jpe  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM

I love the Sunflowers!!!!and of course all of the other fabrics.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM

With the idea it's "wind moving over a field of flowers"....

I think you should purposely put in just a few lighter, "not flowers" to symbolize wisps of wind. Like, in the yellows use a tone on tone yellow that blends with its neighbors. In the blues, tone on tone blue. The reds have me stumped because red would be too bold. But I would make sure that grouping ended up in the bottom third of the quilt to "ground" it, and the lighter blues/yellows predominantly on top because it makes me think airy, kwim?

I can't wait to see this one come together..it's a mindbender!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM

W*O*W !!
this is going to be a beauty :)
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I agree with jean. a nice green leafy one would look good. But I would audition it first. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Where would it go? :-D
Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Oh my what a awesome undertaking I will be anxiously watching this quilt develope!!! I will be here cheering you on!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
With the idea it's "wind moving over a field of flowers"....

I think you should purposely put in just a few lighter, "not flowers" to symbolize wisps of wind. Like, in the yellows use a tone on tone yellow that blends with its neighbors. In the blues, tone on tone blue. The reds have me stumped because red would be too bold. But I would make sure that grouping ended up in the bottom third of the quilt to "ground" it, and the lighter blues/yellows predominantly on top because it makes me think airy, kwim?

I can't wait to see this one come together..it's a mindbender!
I understand what you're saying...and I have tone on tones--all bright because I use them with black and white fabrics... but, I was kind of thinking I wanted to use all florals. I'll go play around with that idea though... let me see....

I tried it...and the yellow I had is too bright and the blue really broke up the florals--looked too plain. That one was a Moda marble is sky color.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM

Oh my, all of you quilters are so smart. Every example I see looks just beautiful to me. Guess that is why I won't be doing one of these type quilts for maybe 10 years..need a little more experience...Your quilt is going to be beautiful...the fabrics are awesome....Blessings, Jackie
Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Actually I was going to suggest REMOVING that one with the large flowers directly to the right of the red. When I cover it, the flow seems smoother. JMHO
Okay...the one with the big flowers is out and one was added (I don't have much left and was saving it for floral log cabin blocks!) that I think blends the red in better. I feel the red needs to be in for contrast in color since I don't have much contrast light to dark. I guess my goal will need to focus on that--color sections, rather than light to dark sections. Oh my head. :lol:

Now I think it's too many reds in a row?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162255[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162250.jpe