Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Never thought I was ADD - current projects >

Never thought I was ADD - current projects

Never thought I was ADD - current projects

Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
I'm a teacher and think I know what Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) looks like, but never saw it in myself, until .... I found that I flit between projects like a hummingbird - with the attention span of a flea! Right now I'm doing a block from the Farmer's Wife Sampler that has (for me anyway) teeny tiny tedious pieces. I'll do a bit of that - like cut the pieces out - then go to a Quilts For Kids project with large, simple pieces. I'll do a bit of that - like assemble the 4-patches - then back to the tiny ones.

Anyone else have such varied projects going on?

LOL.....I'm a teacher too and have multiple projects going! However with a strong family history of ADD, I figured I just wasn't diagnosed....but reading here, I think I'm just a multi-tasking quilter!!!!!!! (I really do like having several projects going at once so I can do what I'm in the mood for....right now I have a lot of ironing to do for a strip-pieced project, some finishing work on another, some pieces to trace for an appliqued sweatshirt.....etc)

Edited to add: I just have to be sure I change the speed lever on my machine when I change projects. Those itty bitty pieces don't do well at the speed I sew the bigger blocks!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

i must have it too i always go from one thing to the next i see a pattern have to try it
Old 08-28-2011, 04:38 PM

I started the summer with about 11 UFO's and vowed to not let that happen again. THe problem was that I love to piece and hate to sandwich and quilt. I have been quilting for a few weeks over a year and ... ta-dah!... in that time have finished 32 quilts. Two twin sized, 3 baby sized, the rest lap. Add about 10 table runners and I feel that it's been a wonderful year. Getting those UFO's finished was such a motivator and I found some ease in the sandwich/quilt process that makes it not so dreadful after all.

Right now I have 4 tops that need to be sandwiched, but they are large lap quilts and I'm waiting for a friend to work with me on the library tables at school. We're getting together this Thursday to get going on that. The backs are pieced and ready to go.

Only one of the tops I had at the beginning of the summer is still unfinished and it's going to have to have a deadline before I get to it. I just don't wanna! :)

I've found success in setting little goals. Tonight I WILL finish piecing a top for Quilts for Kids - it lacks borders only. And I WILL do one more block for FW - it's cut out and I just need to sew it together. I've done 12 blocks in 2 weeks so I'm okay with that progress too.

I'm just surprised at how much I can get done with this hummingbird-flea process!

I also teach piano lessons after school. I usually have 15 students and this year I'll have 22. This will seriously interfere with my quilting! I'm hoping I can still get a bit done each evening - if not then the weekends will just have to do.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

As long as you are happy, it doesn't how you work on a project. I finish one before starting another, just the way I always done.