Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • New homemade quilt frame! >
  • New homemade quilt frame!

• New homemade quilt frame!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 PM

I think I am going to leave my husband at home (he's cute not handy) with the kids tomorrow, while I go to lowes and get all the pieces needed to make this!

Thank you for posting this!
    Then I need to get around to cutting a hole in the computer desk for my sewing machine! lol
    Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM

Your welcome, Justwannaquilt!!!! Just make the holes in the wood big enough for the pvc pipe to go through.... And you're about done! :D
    I'd get some 3" or 4" high (how ever high you need it) pvc pipe to go under the frame too, instead of the wood chunks I have. Seems like it would be easier to have them just roll, as you move the frame..... And someone said they taped a pencil to the table, to stop the pvc supports from rolling off the table. I'll probably get some for myself tomorrow, am ready to quilt my 'Scattered Leaves' quilt! :D The wood chunks I've been using are just a pain sometimes.

Thank you Mountain Momma!! :D
    :D
    Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 PM

This looks really clever, now I am going to appear a tad silly here, I do have a hand quilt frame etc but how does this work with the machine - do you move the frame by hand to do the sewing and the machine just runs - sorry to appear an idiot but would love to know more please:)
    Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 AM

WOW that looks great, I understand the technical terms thingys perfectly, use them a lot. LOL

Will have to show my DH.

Elle
    Old 10-03-2009, 05:14 AM

Thank you Wings and Elle!!! :) :)

Yeap, you just move the frame back and forth.... I have about a 4" quilting area (height?) that I can move around in, and then move the frame left or right, to move down the width of the quilt.

If you look on the Flynn Frame site, he has a video which shows him using his. This works the same way, although his slides smoother, as he has pvc pipes supporting his, while I had the the chunks of wood. DH wrapped them in vinyl, which didn't really help much. We're getting pvc 'support' pieces today, as I have my Scattered Leaves quilt to do. :D

The best thing about this, for me, is that besides not having the bulk of the quilt to mess with, my backings are all almost perfect!! They stay flat and tight, and don't get any bunches or puckers in them!! :D :D
    Old 10-03-2009, 06:26 AM

Sounds absolutely great just what I could do with.

I have looked at John Flynn but the poor mans voice near drove me to distraction. But I will steel myself again and look into it.

thanks for all the advice.

Elle
    Old 10-03-2009, 06:56 AM
    Banned

Hey Diana, would your dear sweet hubby be intrested in making one for me if I send you the money??? I live in Port Huron, Michigan and I will even pay for shipping.
    Or I am pretty handy with a saw and hammer, maybe he could just "sell" me the directions???
    I asked a friend of mine to try to come up with one like John Flynn's and he said yes it would be pretty easy to make but that is as far as it went. The same guy made me a very large cutting table the turns all the way around and even has a handle on it for carrying from room to room. Ever since I got it, that's all I ever use anymore. haha He now lives in Farwell, MI and his health really has him down lately. Other then that, I don't hear much from him anymore and I don't want to keep buggin' him.
    Thanxs
    Bev Burton
    [email protected]
    Old 10-03-2009, 09:42 AM

thats really the basic idea of the expensive frames...good job husband LOL....does it move pretty good on those blocks of wood? I think the flynn frame moves left to right on PVC pipe????
    Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Thankyou Diana - what a great idea. I have a shoulder injury which makes pushing a quilt through the machine hard for me, almost stopped me quilting altogether. I shall give this some serious thought. Do you tack the three layers together before mounting in the frame? What a husband you have! I have shown it to mine but he has yet to "bite" - I shall have to go into nagging mode :)
    Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Hi Diana - I can see you used pins to hold the three layers, sorry, still waking up over here in Aus. This is so very clever. Thanks again for sharing.