Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Not sure what I'm doing! >

Not sure what I'm doing!

Not sure what I'm doing!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM

You are doing a great job. The colors are really nice.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM

It sure is looking good....love the colors!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM

First your colors and fabric choices are super. You are right on with those!
I do agree with some of the others tho, about the inconsistencies of the few half square triangles in black you have added. They do seem to throw the balance off for me, too.
I love the black and red around your star centers and the alternate green and gold star points. I wouldn't change a thing about those, nor your use of the lights that read as white on the photo.
However, IMHO, I would stick to using the greens in the gold star points and the golds in the green star points for balance and consistency.
I do love the look of the black stripe sub-pattern in the second row, however, if you want to include this, I would not use the stripe, but would use the red. No need to match the pattern in the fabric then, and no distraction when it doesn't match. Or I would use a different black without the stripe.
Also, if you decide to keep that, I think it would need to be in each of that same intersection throughout the quilt, not in just the one spot.
If keeping it is too complex, as it may well be, then I'd just go with the colors you have in the rest of the quilt, except the blacks.

You are doing an awesome job as a beginner, heck, even for a non beginner! And I think your block size is perfect! 12" is a good size.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

I likek what you're doing and you have some nice contrast in the blocks/quilt. It's going to look very nice when you're done.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Just want to apologize if I was too long winded and gave too much opinion. I have designed a few of my own patterns too and know how it is to get lost in there. So sorry if I went beyond helpful into quilt policey... sure never want to sound like that. Hugs and smiles, and good luck!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Let me ask this.. Is the 9th block..the one that does not have a black square in it belong? Or does the bottom square #4 need black. Is just because it not done..It will balance when you are done. Does #9 block match the second block from the bottom... I like it. Looking forward to seeing it done.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Very cool combination of pattern with colors!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM

I think it is really nice. I love your color choices and layout. It will be very striking when you have more blocks and it is quilted. I am impressed you are doing so well for only 8 months quilting experience. Keep going. You are creating a masterpiece!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM

You are doing awesome. With your color choices and exhibited skill you are already on your way to become an accomplished and happy quilter in no time. Enjoy the journey!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM

I really like what you've done so far and would love to see the finished project!

I fully relate to your 'not quite sure of what I'm doing' lead sentence! I don't usually know what I'm doing with a quilt until it's finished. I plan for one thing, but somehow wind up with a very different quilt top when I'm done.

Good luck!