Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Now I ask you...... >

Now I ask you......

Now I ask you......

Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Janeen
sigh....

speaking of giving quilts to charity....

this groups of 'ladies' and I use the term loosely - ahem..... proper southern belles every last one of 'em... yea right, ok...

anyway....

they make quilts and 'raffle' them off to raise money for the group - we can't use 'raffle' because that's gambling and have to use another word only I can't think of what it is but it really is a raffle...

so I picked up the Christmas material after the holidays from walmart for $1 a yard and made this quilt top (74x87) and gave it to the group to finish (they do that) and then sell....

several of the ladies wanted to do it by hand but it got nowhere, plus a few said 'oh it's too small' :shock:
so I said well, would 2 more yards of material be enough to make it bigger? and was told, sure

one of the ladies has a long arm and generally finishes the quilts for the group so I didn't have any problem with that...

so this is how she finished it - she put one (ONE) wide strip down ONE SIDE and that's it.........

let me tell you, that quilt is ALL HERS - do not even mention my name in the same breath as that quilt!!

:mrgreen: 8)

this REALLY goes to that "once you give it, they can do ANYTHING with it..." and boy did they ever...

buwahhahahahaaaaa

one?? at least opposite sides? ya think? or maybe even three sides for a drop? or none or all four sides? but one side??

am I the only one who thinks that was taking cattiness to an extreme?
couldn't she have given it back to me and said, "make it bigger"?

oh well, live and learn...
I told the president of the group not to ask me to do any more sewing....

ps you can see that she did a BARE minimum of sewing on the longarm....
First, Janeen, let me say I think your quilt is lovely. I like everything about it. Now, here is a theory I have based on a quilt one of my quilty friends made for her grddau as a wedding gift. She made the quilt just as you did but then picked the sashing fabric and added a several inch wide piece on ONE END of the quilt. Holding it up in our group meeting, the quilt looked really weird and unfinished but she later brought in a picture of the quilt on the bed and that wide piece of sashing that she added was the part that went OVER the pillows on the bed. It looked lovely ON THE BED..You have your quilt shown on a bed but I'm wondering if she maybe put the wide pillow sashing on the SIDE of the quilt rather than the end of the quilt so it covered the pillows???? It's not square according to your dimenstions (74 by 87 inches) so that's the only thing I can come up with. :?: :?: I'm so sorry your lovely work wasn't better honored.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 AM
bj

Janeen, your quilt is lovely. I'd probably ask the lady why she did that. Maybe she meant it to go across the bed the other way and that would be where the pillows are? I try to be direct with people...I find it saves me a lot of time and worry :)