Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!! >

O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!!

O.K....I have been MIA for a while..but look what I have been playing with!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by sandpat
Hmmmm Izy..you are doing the right thing..arrange..walk away, come back, re-arrange...I did that for the longest time on the border that I made. The panel really made for a hard one to arrange, but it is very unique too...I love the faces..the one next to it..the darker orange looking...it seems to need to go somewhere else though....its too dark next to the faces I think. :D
Thanks for the imput Patti, I have already moved them all around again so have no idea where it is right at this moment, there are a couple that I think will end up being tossed out as they don't seem to 'go' anywhere comfortably ;-)
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Hello Izy - glad to meet you. I am fairly new here and I gather that you have been absent for some time. Blessings to you and your husband for the cancer that has stricken will surely be on its way out soon. Both my husband and I have had cancer within the last two years. My radiation ended this last March but I am still fighting a bacterial skin infection. As you well know, it's a long row to hoe.

However, quilting has eased my way and I love your OBW. I would never have thought that panel would turn out such a beautiful, calming quilt top. The hexagon with the child's face is outstanding. Like I say, I would never have chosen this for OBW. Congrats on the challenge and giving a bunch of us further ideas. I already have in the back of my mind my LQS's panels which will surely go on sale soon. lol
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu...ser/dizzydonna
Thank yo for your support, John's cancer is advanced/inoperable, but he has had a good response to his chemo which finishes next month, so we are praying that he continues to be well for a while longer yet

I will check out your website too!!

:-)
Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by trif
I've never seen obw before, I'm so impressd, looks like a puzzle, fitting pieces together. Is this your first one? Am I the only quilter here living under a rock, where have I been, I feel so left out. I need to put this on my attempt to make list (which keeps growing). Thanks for sharing
Well at least you have 'cottoned' on now
:lol: :D ;)

If you go the virtual section you will see a whole load of topics all based on this type of quilt :D
Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Izy

I love the panel and how it is looking so far. (ok you asked for an opinion so...here goes) I would lay out the hex's next to the 7th panel that you got for the back and "work it into" the whole top. Of course if it does not look too good, you can scrap the idea before "cutting", etc. etc. Hope to see the whole thing finished.

I had thought of using the panel as a centre piece and arranging the hexagons around it Ellen.....I want to keep the last panel as a whole, but I might use the part panel to make blocks...not sure yet...so we will see what evolves, like all of my projects lol!!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Power Poster

I'm not much help, Izy, I usually like the layout that no one else likes LOL I like the greens in this, but the peaches seem to be the predominate colors. I thought about cutting the ferry out, and placing her over the blocks, See, I told you I am not much help LOL Just was wandering how she would look if she was floating over them. Not so much in the center, sorta on the side. Of course this is coming from someone who has never done a OBW :lol:
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I'm not much help, Izy, I usually like the layout that no one else likes LOL I like the greens in this, but the peaches seem to be the predominate colors. I thought about cutting the ferry out, and placing her over the blocks, See, I told you I am not much help LOL Just was wandering how she would look if she was floating over them. Not so much in the center, sorta on the side. Of course this is coming from someone who has never done a OBW :lol:
Tee hee!! BUT you know we all gain inspiration from each other, so who knows HOW this will all come together in the end with everyone's imput...thank you!! I like the idea of the fairy floating....a bit like Tinkerbell!! :lol: :-)
Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Banned

Wow, Izy, that looks great!! When I did my first OBW, I played with the design for a week, until I was sick of looking at it and just started sewing! LOL. I did find that it helps to take a photo of each layout. The photo will show the "stand-outs" more than the naked eye can see. But remember, it's not bad to have a couple of "stand-outs" to create movement and interest. Oddly enough, after the first OBW, I haven't agonized over the layout. I just put them down, maybe move them around for a day or so and that's it. Of course it could be I've gotten better at choosing better fabric too! LOL Can't wait to see the finished product.

PS, If you want to make it bigger, you can always put the panel in the middle with the OBW's around it in a frame. And the frame doesn't have to be regular, it can be irregular and even jagged on one or more sides. Just a thought.

Hugs and prayers for you and John.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Izy

Gaigai wrote:-

If you want to make it bigger, you can always put the panel in the middle with the OBW's around it in a frame. And the frame doesn't have to be regular, it can be irregular and even jagged on one or more sides. Just a thought.

Gai gai, that is just where my mind is going.....but we are going away for a week or so tomorrow, so will play again with it with renewed 'eyes' on our return

Thanks for your prayers, :D
Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 AM

Can't wait to see the finished quilt. What you have so far is lovely.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:55 AM

what a surprise! saw the panel-how could she cut it up?-FABULOUS!! i really love the look of your obw!