Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
OBW Dragon (and a couple others) Octagon >

OBW Dragon (and a couple others) Octagon

OBW Dragon (and a couple others) Octagon

Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Karen K
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.... you all need to try one at least once. They are so amazing!
I've been dreaming about octagons all weekend and reading that chapter of the book! Been calculating the different strip widths required for different size blocks (major brain ache but with DH's help I got there!) and drawn an indelible line on my 45 deg ruler to use as a template. I'm ready to rock and roll once I get the borders on my bargello WIP! :-D
Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.... you all need to try one at least once. They are so amazing!
I've been dreaming about octagons all weekend and reading that chapter of the book! Been calculating the different strip widths required for different size blocks (major brain ache but with DH's help I got there!) and drawn an indelible line on my 45 deg ruler to use as a template. I'm ready to rock and roll once I get the borders on my bargello WIP! :-D
Oh, I'm so excited for you.... get that WIP done (totally get that ... it is why I can't start my next one either!) Just FYI, I use a Kaleido-Ruler by Marti Miller for mine ... takes all the guess work out of the strips, corners, etc. All there on the ruler for you! Pretty awesome. Also "pre-trims" the point off the centers of the octagons! Just in case you want another ruler!!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Oh, I'm so excited for you.... get that WIP done (totally get that ... it is why I can't start my next one either!) Just FYI, I use a Kaleido-Ruler by Marti Miller for mine ... takes all the guess work out of the strips, corners, etc. All there on the ruler for you! Pretty awesome. Also "pre-trims" the point off the centers of the octagons! Just in case you want another ruler!!
This is the one I've got! But I was confused because it says strips cut at 4" yields a 7" block and the book says 6.5"? My leaf fabric is stacked and pinned and I'm ready to cut! :-D
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

[quote=k3n]
Originally Posted by k3n
This is the one I've got! But I was confused because it says strips cut at 4" yields a 7" block and the book says 6.5"? My leaf fabric is stacked and pinned and I'm ready to cut! :-D[/quot

Oh, perfect .... Cut the 6.5" ... the Kaleido-Ruler takes off the end of the triangle so there isn't the bulk in the center of the block! Plus, you save .5" for each strip!!! Kinda nice.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:04 AM

[quote=Karen K]
Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by k3n

This is the one I've got! But I was confused because it says strips cut at 4" yields a 7" block and the book says 6.5"? My leaf fabric is stacked and pinned and I'm ready to cut! :-D[/quot

Oops ... i Mean ...Oh, perfect .... cut the 4" if you want the 7" ...... the Kaleido-Ruler takes off the end of the triangle so there isn't the bulk in the center of the block! Plus, you save .5" for each strip!!! Kinda nice.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 AM

[quote=Karen K]
Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by k3n
Oh, K, I just noticed you are in the UK! My son and fiance are living in London at the moment (she's going to graduate school) and I'm visiting the end of the month. Any good fabric shops in London that you or anyone else knows of? Just a thought? K

Oops ... i Mean ...Oh, perfect .... cut the 4" if you want the 7" ...... the Kaleido-Ruler takes off the end of the triangle so there isn't the bulk in the center of the block! Plus, you save .5" for each strip!!! Kinda nice.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks Karen! (3 times! LOL) The penny dropped as I started to cut! Doh! Have a few blocks made, will post tomorrow, liking it so far...
Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Absolutely gorgeous, love the pink one :thumbup:
Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM

My "Pink quilt" is my favorite! It just "happened" and I love how it turned out. Glad you like it too! Thanks for your nice comment!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM

How did you do the pink one?