Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
One Block Wonder >

One Block Wonder

One Block Wonder

Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 AM

K3n - I'm not sure why the fabric wouldn't be just as accurate on the "far" side of the bolt as on the "near" side. We tested this out on some of our fabrics and she was right. We were not able to get an accurate layering of the 6 cuts of fabric. When we pinned them together they were off by small amounts. Now, that could be just the choice of fabrics, but we all had very different stuff. She said if we needed extra blocks we could fussy cut them instead of using the layering method. This technique does use an enormous amount of fabric, but it can always be used in another project.
Maksi - yes, this is the Stack & Whack method of forming blocks. It is really so easy once you get past the fear of ripping your fabric. I hate that sound. I have the book by Bethany Reynolds and would like to get others of hers.
I'm working on other stuff right now so won't get back to the blocks till this weekend. :)
Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 AM

Gorgeous blocks! Can't wait to see the whole quilt!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Overlander
K3n - I'm not sure why the fabric wouldn't be just as accurate on the "far" side of the bolt as on the "near" side. We tested this out on some of our fabrics and she was right. We were not able to get an accurate layering of the 6 cuts of fabric. When we pinned them together they were off by small amounts. Now, that could be just the choice of fabrics, but we all had very different stuff. She said if we needed extra blocks we could fussy cut them instead of using the layering method. This technique does use an enormous amount of fabric, but it can always be used in another project.
Interesting. I'd noticed some discrepencies when splitting repeats lengthwise as well as widthwise but not otherwise. I'll look out for it next time I do one. :D
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Beautiful blocks. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 AM

I love your blocks! I really want to do one of those....perhaps in the coming year. For fabric repeat like yours, how much did you buy for the quilt?

sewlady
Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

That is beautiful fabric! I just finished cutting the triangles for my first OBW.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Way to go Gai! I can't wait to see what it looks like, I hope you took a picture of the original fabric. can we see, huh? can we?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

Let me get a few blocks sewn together and then I'll start a thread. And I still have lots of the fabric.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

take lots of pictures, I love watching them go together. I still have two prints that I bought specifically for it, and have found a few others in my stash that I wish I had more of as I think they would work up well.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Overlander---you picked beautiful fabric to do your kaleidoscope quilt with. How many blocks do you have to do for a queen size?

I am making a quilt like his for my niece for her college graduation next Spring.