Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
One Block Wonder >

One Block Wonder

One Block Wonder

Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Beautiful!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 AM

Just beautiful Overlander! And I enjoy seeing 'in progress' pics.

I love making these kaleidoscope/one block wonder quilts. My quilt instructor showed us a few years ago her special way of using foam core board and flower pins to be very exacting on the lining up of the repeats before cutting wedges.

I've made both six and eight wedge blocks. It was easy with the eight wedge blocks to eventually place corners that formed four wedge kaleidos btwn the major blocks.

I made a wedding quilt for DD and SIL who were married this past August 21st. Would you believe that I only took one pic of the quilt?? I'll see if I can post it here...

Doesn't show much of the quilt or its kaleido blocks but Sarah and Andy sure look happy!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50849[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-50849.jpe  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Great job on the blocks. I am interested in seeing it as you go along. and of course the finished product
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 AM

Looks great!!! :D
Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 AM

That fabric worked out just perfect Overlander. You are so bad, now I want to make another one!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:46 AM

The fabric is gorgeous and the blocks are beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished.

"Everytime I see this pattern, I think of the story from an elderly quilting friend. She had made one, and took the almost finished quilt to the lake to finish handstitching the binding. Having finished it, she put it in a big black garbage bag to keep it clean going home. Unfortunately, whoever of the group that dropped the weeks' garbabe on the way home, grabbed that bag too!!! Needless to say, she was devastated. Her daughters, also quilters, found the same fabric, and remade it for her, and gave it to her at Christmas. I can only imagine the heartbreak she must have felt when she was told it landed in the landfill. Thank goodness she can laugh now when she tells the story."

I think I would have headed for the landfill and started digging! How awful! Can you imagine how bad the person felt who accidentally threw it away? Actually, that person is the one who should have started digging at the landfill! Good lesson for all of us, I think. Never put your quilt in a garbage bag on a trip like that. Probably better to use a clear bag so it can be seen (just keep it out of the sun). How wonderful that her daughters made her another quilt. I'll bet she was very appreciative.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:39 PM

I just LOVE how your blocks
are turning out!! :D I am trying
to get brave enough, to cut my
blocks out!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 10-04-2009, 03:04 PM

"I think I would have headed for the landfill and started digging! How "awful! Can you imagine how bad the person felt who accidentally threw it away? Actually, that person is the one who should have started digging at the landfill! Good lesson for all of us, I think. Never put your quilt in a garbage bag on a trip like that. Probably better to use a clear bag so it can be seen (just keep it out of the sun). How wonderful that her daughters made her another quilt. I'll bet she was very appreciative. "

Sandy....they did go and look for it, but no luck. And yes, the son felt terrible!! Naturally, the sisters never let him live it down!!! LOL
Old 10-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all your comments everyone. Ducky - The fabric is Mandarin Dynasty Style #D934 by Hoffman California International Fabrics - a screen print. It takes a lot of fabric. I purchased 6 meters and hope there is enough for a queen size (pattern only gave info for a double - 32 blocks). I am making 37 and adding more border. When you rip the fabric it gives a 21 inch piece 6 meters long (or however long you are working with) to make the blocks out of, Then the other half is used for borders. Apparently the first half (from the marked selvage up) of a piece is accurately printed, but the 2nd half is not as accurate and can make the process of matching designs almost impossible. We looked at all sorts of patterns to see what would work and what wouldn't. One lady found a beautiful border print that looked gorgeous in the mirror but when she cut for a sample it didn't work. The print was laid down in 2 processes and they weren't straight. I was looking at some beautiful batik, but since they are not printed in repeats they are not useable. Shucks - they would have been beautiful. I love OBW quilts as you can tell. Oh heck - I just love quilting. :wink:
Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Well I just love your stack and whack overlander. It is going to be just so girly with all that pink and flowers. Have fun with it.