Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
One Block Wonders (hibiscus) >

One Block Wonders (hibiscus)

One Block Wonders (hibiscus)

Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM

I am awestruck, this quilt is amazing indeed! Hope you enter it into a quilt show somewhere....people will be smiling and pointing at this beauty.

I've gotten the 2 one block wonder books from the library but I'm not good at following written instructions...I need to take a hands-on class, with someone to guide me and keep me from making major mistakes, LOL.

Love your quilt.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by kd124
Gorgeous! Perfect name for the quilt. I name some of my quilts but not all. I am working on a One Block Wonder right now and need to have it finished by Juy 9 when I go to my HS reunion. It is for my oldest (timewise not age) and dearest friend.

Ducky--it really is a lot easier than it looks. I chain piece mine, so it goes really fast.
Kathy - please show us when you've done! Unless you'd rather have a Inova quilter's set up than a camera :mrgreen: !

Chain piecing - do you do several hexs at a time then? That sounds interesting. I take a stack of 6 and piece two sets of three, press seams, pin together and stick on wall. I'd be worried about mixing up the triangles; please enlighten me as to how you do it, sounds like a great tip!

And I ditto what Jenell said - I went through the book step by step, it's really clear and good explanatory pics (Jenell - we SHOULD be on commission! :wink: ). AND if I can do it then anyone can too! :D
I pin the stacks of six with the head of the pin pointing to the corner I want as I cut each set of triangles. Then I stack the sets of six, staggering each set (like when you stack copies when you make a bunch with several pages). I take a big stack to my machine, take the 1st set, remove the first two triangles of a set and pin as before. Next I take the next two, sew them together, take the last two, sew them together (chain them) and continue with the whole stack. Each time I pin the first two, I set them on the previous set of two,staggering them. After chaining all of these I either cut the threads now and stack keeping the order, then press and restack or press, cut threads, then stack. Now with the piles of sewn together pieces, I check to see if my top matches the top of the pinned pile. If not, I flip the sewn stack so they match. Now I sew the pinned ones to the two that are sewn, chaining each piece, cut apart, pin together the 2 halves and put on the board. Don't dispair if you happen to get one out of order; you can tell it they don't match. And yes I quickly look to make sure they match. Chaining makes it go so fast. I hope you can understand this. If I had a digital camera, I would take pictures but unfortunately I don't. Don't hesitate to ask if you need clarification on something.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Such a beautiful quilt :!: :!: How do you know where to start and what fabric to use?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM

When I did a stack and whack (Bethany Renolds), I did one block at a time. Then one day, we joined another group of quilters to see if we wanted to join them. One of the ladies was working on a One Block Wonder and she was chaining the pieces together.
We didn't join the group, but I got sure got a good tip out of the deal! :lol:
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM

I LOVE it. Never heard of the pattern. Do you have a link?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Zoe

I always name my quilts too. Yours is a particularly lovely version of the One Block Wonder design, a design I find to be freeing me to explore non-traditional quilting patterns. Thank you for showing your quilt.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM

That is so pretty. I love the blue. I guess I haven't seen one block wonders before, it is really nice. Good job!!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. I have not heard of one block wonders, but it looks very intimidating!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Thank you for explaining Kathy, there is no way I could have explained that and made sense! I chain 3 or 4 sets of triangles at a time. I just make sure each set is not like the others so I can tell really quick if I picked up the wrong one.

Adrianlee, I think I used 8 yards on this one. I always buy extra because there is alway an ugly block or two. This one is not quite a full twin size. Oh and the repeat was 12 inches if I remember right.

I have seen a link showing these going together but the pattern isn't online anywhere. I will try to find it tomorrow. I normally can't work from a book either but when the class was cancelled indefinitely and I had already bought my fabric for a new grand baby, I had no choice but to sit down and go step by step. I was really surprised that it worked!

Thanks again for all the nice comments, you guys are the best!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM

Hi Billswife !! ABsolutely beautiful. Can you show a picture of the original piece of fabric? I Have a black and white, small hibiscus print that I was going to do a "stack N wack" - maybe I should do this one instead! What pattern/book was this from?

Terri