Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
One Block Wonders (hibiscus) >

One Block Wonders (hibiscus)

One Block Wonders (hibiscus)

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kd124

I pin the stacks of six with the head of the pin pointing to the corner I want as I cut each set of triangles. Then I stack the sets of six, staggering each set (like when you stack copies when you make a bunch with several pages). I take a big stack to my machine, take the 1st set, remove the first two triangles of a set and pin as before. Next I take the next two, sew them together, take the last two, sew them together (chain them) and continue with the whole stack. Each time I pin the first two, I set them on the previous set of two,staggering them. After chaining all of these I either cut the threads now and stack keeping the order, then press and restack or press, cut threads, then stack. Now with the piles of sewn together pieces, I check to see if my top matches the top of the pinned pile. If not, I flip the sewn stack so they match. Now I sew the pinned ones to the two that are sewn, chaining each piece, cut apart, pin together the 2 halves and put on the board. Don't dispair if you happen to get one out of order; you can tell it they don't match. And yes I quickly look to make sure they match. Chaining makes it go so fast. I hope you can understand this. If I had a digital camera, I would take pictures but unfortunately I don't. Don't hesitate to ask if you need clarification on something.
Thanks Kathy - I got it on the second reading - but it's my early morning brain, NOT your explanation! I'll try that next time!

Re the pattern/technique - I couldn't find any instructions online, I think you have to get the book. There are a couple but the one I used was One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal. I found it very explicit and easy to follow. I read it through once cover to cover then worked through it when I made my first one, using it as an 'instruction manual'. :D
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 AM
Banned

how cool is that. great job!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 AM

This quilt is super cool! Thanks for posting the pic!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Jenell--that turned out beautifully! I love the name too!!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM

:shock: I am soooooo in awe of your quilt. You rock! lucky Bill.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM

Absolutely amazing! I've never tried that type of quilt, but would love to try some time. Jan
Old 06-13-2009, 10:58 PM

Travlr99, the original fabric is posted on page 2.

There is actually a little variation in the blues but it doesn't show up much in the quilt. I tried to get a solid blue block to finish off the corner but they always just a touch of white. I can't wait for the next one, just gotta finish up a few little projects first. I will post the fabric as soon as I get started!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM

WOW! It is stunning! I have one started but it seems to be taking me forever to finish it. My fabric is a tiny print and I am wavering on whether or not I even like it. But your 2 color blue Hawaiian quilt is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 AM

Just beautiful.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Beautiful....I have another OBW waiting to be quilted. Makes me want to go quilt it right now,,,, :mrgreen: or maybe tomorrow. :lol: Great job!