Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions please!! this just doesn't look right to me!!

I'm thinking that a dark burgundy, narrow border would work. This is a beautiful piece. It works for me just how it is but a stopping point might make the difference. I don't see a white border at all. If you are going from white in the center to off-white in the border.... I think that would be distracting. Solid, or burgundy and black print, for narrow border and binding is my suggestion.

I think it is beautiful, their is nothing wrong with it. You are a marvelous quilter, do not daught yourself for a minute.

The first thing I thought when I read your post and looked at the pics was it needs a narrow inner border in the white...or gray...but then I almost always want and inner border. Then I read on and see lots of others think it needs an inner border though some thing dark and some think light. I would audition both if I had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    yes, Joyce has it right on...it needs a small white border between the main section and the border.
    This was my thought as well. Either white or black, but a small border before the floral border would frame the main part of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    yes, Joyce has it right on...it needs a small white border between the main section and the border.
    Ditto what these ladies said!

Blog Entries
    that is so pretty but think I would put a solid border bet. the outside border and the quilt itself.

Think it needs a stopper border between the quilt and the outside border.

Perhaps you could add a 1" border between the pattern and the floral to separate them? Something neutral. Black? Oe a shade in the floral.

I like it the way it is. I might have put a 2" strip of the floral and then a 2" strip of white and then the rest of the floral. I think that would set the DP off.

I think it's fine but if you are unhappy with it you have to decide do you want to change the border.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Your quilt is lovely and very contemporary. I think your border is too small in scale and too traditional. A stripe or the darker grey that was suggested by sarah in brooklyn would compliment the quilt. IMHO

I like the idea of the dark neutral gray instead or maybe a small grey border then a solid maroon.
    Live well, Love often, Pray daily

The colors are great....just not sure about using a floral border on a modern quilt.....just my opinion

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks great. IMHO if you do insert a narrow border in between, I think white or a light color would be too stark of a transition. I would go with a plain, darker color.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
    I'd like a solid maroon small border then some contemporary print for the outside border. Do you have enough scraps to make some sort of pieced border for the second border? But as I said earlier, I love the quilt and you did a great job on it.
    I'm afraid if you put a maroon border on, it would lose the symmetry of the DP - I'd use a narrow black, about 1", then maybe a 2" maroon. And I agree with the others in that I feel the floral doesn't work with the modern of the DP, but not a plaid.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
    Maybe what seems off to you is that the print in the block has a lot of white and your border fabric doesn't have any white. I would audition a narrow white border followed by the floral border and see if that works better. I really like the drunkard's path you have and also like the border but tend to agree that while it looks good it may not be perfect. A lot of good suggestions have been made so you have options to experiment with. Your piecing and curves are perfect, drunkard's path is one of my favorite patterns because there are so many ways to lay it out. Keep us posted as to how you finish up.
    I agree. A narrow white border before adding the wider border may just be the trick to breaking it up a bit. The quilt is gorgeous! Nice job
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Blog Entries
    I like it but if it was mine i would put a 2 or 3 inch light colored or light gray strip around the top then add the border. beautiful quilt and you matched everything nicely but i think if u did that you might like it better...

maybe a narrow border of the light fabric between the dp and the print border?

I think it looks great as it is. You did a good job of picking a border that compliments the drunkard's path pattern.
    Pat M.

Looks good to me!!!!

It is a beautiful top. The floral border looks nice to me and I feel works well with the whole colour scheme. Perhaps it would work better to have a thin light border between the blocks and the floral border? About 1/2"-2" in width depending on your preference? You could try a cream, white, grey, tan or yellow colour maybe? Just a suggestion. I think that you need to do what you feel is right for you. Best wishes and I look forward to seeing your completed quilt! Thank you for the opportunity to offer my thoughts.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

I like it alot but maybe try a 2" plain color between the drunkards path and the floral???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    I don't love the geometric/modern look of the quilt and the more traditional, floral border. I think a border in the maroon solid would be perfect, or maybe a slightly darker complimentary color - a dark neutral grey?. The quilt is gorgeous!!
    That's exactly what I was thinking - a mix of geometic/modern with traditional seems to clash.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I like the contrast between the border and the blocks. I was trying out a pattern from Eleanor Burns and I ended up with a long thin quilt center. I also did not have enough fabric to make it wider. I bordered it and will hopefully use it as a quilt for a cancer raffle. I will try to post pic tomorrow to get opinions as you have done. Yours looks better then mine!

Blog Entries
    I don't see a problem, I like it just as it is

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast