Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions please!! this just doesn't look right to me!!

I think a solid border would look better. Actually, how about a narrow grey inner border and a maroon outer border (variation on nygal's idea).

I don't think the border does anything for the quilt. Take them off and use the light color you already have in it if you have enough. It is so well done.
    Hugs
    Loretta

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ditto to thimblebug6000's comment. Also if you have enough of the lightest pattern to make a small sash around then the border you have will make everything pop. A friend of mine who has quilted for years tipped me this; when you put the material together i.e. a 9patch then try a strip for the slim outside border then another for the larger border. I don't think it's too busy but I do think it needs something to break it up.

How about a more narrow border of print and then finish with a wider marroon border?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    I don't love the geometric/modern look of the quilt and the more traditional, floral border. I think a border in the maroon solid would be perfect, or maybe a slightly darker complimentary color - a dark neutral grey?. The quilt is gorgeous!!

I agree with Sarah. The geometric and floral do not like each other.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps your subconscious is thinking the floral and the wavy lines don't play well together. They might like each other more if the border was a little smaller. Or go with your idea of making it a lap quilt, and use the pretty floral fabric in another quilt.

Not sure about this. I kind of like it, but I agree with you that something is off. Perhaps, if you have some of that lighter fabric left you can try a thin inner border and the the floral. Or try the suggestion by Sarah in Bklyn. The quilt is really lovely.

I don't love the geometric/modern look of the quilt and the more traditional, floral border. I think a border in the maroon solid would be perfect, or maybe a slightly darker complimentary color - a dark neutral grey?. The quilt is gorgeous!!
    I'm with Sarah..

I agree with greensleves. Nice quilt.

I think you might try a thin border of something light between the quilt center and your outer border. That may set off the center quilt but either way is lovely.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

I like the solid gray narrow inner border. If you use either of the fabrics in the DP (which you did an awesome job on, btw), then the edge of the pattern blurs. After all this advice, hope you post a pic of your decision.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

I agree. I think I like the dark grey idea. But dark maroon also good, IMHO. It's a beautiful quilt though, even as it is now. It's what you like that matters!
    ShirleyD

I love the drunkards path pattern and your fabrics. If it were mine, I would remove the border and just bind the pieced part. It's terrific looking.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Yep! This is my reaction, too.

Blog Entries
    Your block fabric is modern and the Border is traditional...I would stay with a modern print for the
    border. Love the quilt do pattern...keep at those the quilting challenges....happy quilting.
    The best kind of sleep from Heaven above...
    is under a quilt homemade with LOVE!

I think it looks great. Leave it for awhile and come back and look at it again. It is amazing how it will look different later.

Blog Entries
    I agree . A different border would really look good. It is a beautiful quilt it 's just that border does not go with the drunkards path in the center.
    Have a Blessed & Prosperous Day !
    Chris.

Hi, piece, how would it work to insert a white 2" strip in the middle of the floral?????

When I first looked that is what I thought too. The drunkards path is really gorgeous. I would change the border to stay with the modern look, maybe something in the gray family. Please show pictures if you do decide to change it. Hope this helped a bit
    Everything in life happens for a reason.

I like the border. I think it would have looked nice with a white framing border. Only a suggestion you might try if you are not happy with the way it looks now.

The fabrics in the center have high value contrast. The border doesn't repeat anything in the center except maroon. If the center could be extended in to the border. Or the border fabric have higher contrast, that would unify the two areas.

Most comments are also what I think... a small 1" border between the DP and floral outer border... I think a solid burgundy (or cranberry..whatever...) to blend between the two diff. fabrics, but to definitely put an "edge" to the DP and frame it!

Show us your final finished one. Good luck.
    cpfrog - "Those who sew together, grow together." - Amy Dickinson

you quilt cam out lovely, looks like you planned these fabrics, colors are great
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

I would like to see a narrow sashing between the geometrics and the border, something that would pop.

Love it. Pegeth
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast