Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions please!! this just doesn't look right to me!!

I love the border fabric you chose. I think it is perfect.

I love it just as it is. Soooo pretty! Nice job!

How about adding a small border say in white or whatever the lighter color is in the blocks before the larger border as that would set it off more?

Suz in Iowa

I wouldn't mix geometric with floral, not from the same family.
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

Maybe a very thin inner border of the grey to seperate the border and the blocks.
    Quilt outside of the box!

I`d cut that border in half and add a smaller white border between the two(that white fabric in your quilt if you still have some left would be perfect) ...i just find your border is a bit large and adding some contrast would cut it down...but that`s just me......love the giant drunkard`s path.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
    Maybe what seems off to you is that the print in the block has a lot of white and your border fabric doesn't have any white. I would audition a narrow white border followed by the floral border and see if that works better. I really like the drunkard's path you have and also like the border but tend to agree that while it looks good it may not be perfect. A lot of good suggestions have been made so you have options to experiment with......

I agree here!!! It's a beautiful quilt!

I also agree that the florals and geometrics don't quite work (for me) but the piecing is wonderful! Can't wait to see what you decide to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    I don't love the geometric/modern look of the quilt and the more traditional, floral border. I think a border in the maroon solid would be perfect, or maybe a slightly darker complimentary color - a dark neutral grey?. The quilt is gorgeous!!

I agree with whoever said that the geometric and floral prints don't go together that well. How about no border? It's really lovely!

I think it is fine. Bind with one of the other fabrics.

I think it looks terrific!!! Great job
    heberstitcher
    I am Always In Stitches in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    When I put this giant Drunkard Path together, I didn't have enough blocks to make it as big as I'd like to. So, I went into the stash hunting for fabrics that matched because I didn't have any more of these fabrics left. This is the only fabric that came close to the colors. There is just something about it that doesn't set well with me. But, I can't put my finger on it. Is the border too busy? Or is the quilt too busy for the border? Help! What is wrong with it? should I just take the borders off and bind it and call it a lap quilt? Or keep searching for more solid maroon to make the borders? Or, do you think it is okay as is?
    I like it. It blends well and looks good.

I agree with Sarah in Brooklyn. I think the flowered border just doesn't fit the more modern aspect of your Drunkard's path fabric.
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Do you have enough of the white to put a small border before the other border fabric? I think the border fabric is fine but a small white border first would be even better. Your Drunkard's Path blocks are awesome!
    She took the words right out of my fingers. Please tell us what you end up doing.
    Lynda Rae

"One who makes no mistakes -- never makes anything!" Author Unknown

I agree also.

I agree the boarder dosen't do anything for the quilt. Keep looking. Love your drunkard path blocks.

Blog Entries
    at first glance all i see is the center, pick another fabric with small areas of white in the background, i believe you will like it a lot better. Love the center blocks!
    Just passing through!

Blog Entries
    I think a narrow border of white before the larger border would set off the drunkards path and then the floral border would tie in better.

I am certainly no expert, but I agree that the border needs to be a solid that presents more of a flow of the blocks into the boder. However the pioneer ladies had to use what they had on hand and I think we have become a generation that needs to learn that also. If you really hate it, then do the work of replacing the border. Otherwise just remember the fun you had making the blocks and know that this quilt can be used and loved.
    Nana - Spring, Texas

Acutally, Barbara; but all teachers and my granddaughters classmates only know "Nana"

Blog Entries
    I understand what you're saying. The main part of the quilt looks modern and the floral border seems to remind me of civil war fabric.
    Go forth and sew!

I think it looks great! I'd add a narrow black border to the outside or bind in black to finish the look.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I like it!!

I know I'm going bonkers now. Looking at your block all I saw was Moose ankles and hooves. Like the blocks though.

Others are saying exactly what I was thinking...a narrow, solid color border is needed to frame the center and separate from the border. I'm not sure about the border, but I think it can work if a narrow border keeps it away from the pieced part.
    Thimble and Thread

i like it just the way it is.. it is a beautiful.. and if you dont get where you like it send it my way i love it...lol.... seriously it looks great...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast