Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Orca bay mystery picture thread >

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM

I finished my small blue/teal string blocks, and finished squaring all the strings blocks large and small. So, I decided to do the "wings"! I knew this would be a tedious step, but I had already cut out all the triangles. I made two of the set of wings and cut one large string block to "test" sew them together. Good thing.......it didn't come out the right size at all. "OH NO!" I thought, "I'm going to have some trouble now." So I re-read the instructions for both steps. I had forgotten to trim down my 5.5 string block. I don't have her companion ruler as I use Quilt in a Day rulers (I used to work there) and QIAD has a triangle square-up ruler, very similar (it worked for the first 2 parts). This time, since I have the finished measurement of the red string and the wings, I had to play with it to determine the size of the red string triangle. I think I have it figured out, but I am going to have to do a lot more cutting, trimming actually, to get the right size. Boy this part is really going to take some time.

Going to visit my mom in Simi Valley, about 3 hrs from me, so won't be sewing for a couple of days. Then a busy rest of the week and off to Cancun the following week with great friends, so the Orca Bay Mystery will have to wait. It will be a good rest for my left hand. 4 years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand (and it worked wonderfully) and was told my left was just as bad. But strangely my left hand stopped giving me any trouble and showed no symtoms till about 6 months ago. It's gotten really bad the last 3 months, going numb at night, going numb whether I use it or not, etc. I didn't want the surgery before our trip so hopefully soon after that I can get it taken care of.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
Going to visit my mom in Simi Valley, about 3 hrs from me, so won't be sewing for a couple of days. Then a busy rest of the week and off to Cancun the following week with great friends, so the Orca Bay Mystery will have to wait. It will be a good rest for my left hand. 4 years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand (and it worked wonderfully) and was told my left was just as bad. But strangely my left hand stopped giving me any trouble and showed no symtoms till about 6 months ago. It's gotten really bad the last 3 months, going numb at night, going numb whether I use it or not, etc. I didn't want the surgery before our trip so hopefully soon after that I can get it taken care of.
Hey Karen, you will be about 1/2 hour from me when you go to Simi Valley! I'm in Camarillo! Weather should be nice there next week, in the low 70's.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
I finished my small blue/teal string blocks, and finished squaring all the strings blocks large and small. So, I decided to do the "wings"! I knew this would be a tedious step, but I had already cut out all the triangles. I made two of the set of wings and cut one large string block to "test" sew them together. Good thing.......it didn't come out the right size at all. "OH NO!" I thought, "I'm going to have some trouble now." So I re-read the instructions for both steps. I had forgotten to trim down my 5.5 string block. I don't have her companion ruler as I use Quilt in a Day rulers (I used to work there) and QIAD has a triangle square-up ruler, very similar (it worked for the first 2 parts). This time, since I have the finished measurement of the red string and the wings, I had to play with it to determine the size of the red string triangle. I think I have it figured out, but I am going to have to do a lot more cutting, trimming actually, to get the right size. Boy this part is really going to take some time.

After trying a couple of those red string blocks and having to cut them down I decided I didn't like that either. Don't remember where I read it, on here or her blog, someone said make the foundation 5 1/8. Tried that and it's perfect. To me it was hard to trim that little bit off of the larger size.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Can't wait to see it.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM

I guess I really jumped BIG for my third quilt ever. I am going to get through these Ohio Stars if it takes all year! My QSTs needed to be redone but that is okay. You really have to be so exact with cutting and stitching....because of this project, I am understanding the importance and want mine to look as pretty as all of yours. I have learned so much through this process (getting really good with a seam ripper!). Ten stars down. What is so surprising to me is that I don't mind ripping or re-doing and I am in no hurry. I have enjoyed this process and have enjoyed following along with all of you wonderful ladies here.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Jan: I really think forgetting the end result is the secret to enjoying quilting. Glad to see that mistakes don't slow you down. I found the stars a lot of fun just because they used one of those first pieces and it was the first one that looked like a "real" block.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Jan: I really think forgetting the end result is the secret to enjoying quilting. Glad to see that mistakes don't slow you down. I found the stars a lot of fun just because they used one of those first pieces and it was the first one that looked like a "real" block.
Emma, thanks for the kind words!

The mistakes definitely slowed me down LOL. I redid every single one of the QSTs! Practice makes perfect, right?

I can't figure out why but I always have one corner where the QST meets the center red square that is just a tiny bit off. Everything else is perfect. I measure the 1/4" seams, the finished rows, the cut pieces...everything fits together like a glove except that one corner. It is not much - and not noticeable unless you look for it but it bugs me that I can't figure out why....
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Ladies, you all sound like you are making great progress. I can't wait to see all of these quilts. I am working on mine too, today I squared up some QSTs, the rest of the HSTs and did some strings. I have a three day weekend starting Friday and hoping to finish the unnits so I can start piecing blocks.

Jan, it sounds like you are doing a fabulous job. I made four blocks of Ohio Stars (it was in a class and I had never sewed before) for my first quilt but they were not anywhere near perfect, not any corner of them, never made them since, so I am lookingh forward to making these and see if I had made any progress, lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM

This is a quote from one of Bonnie's Blogs that I copied! I thought it was perfect for me, and maybe it will make you all feel better about your quilting.

"STOP worrying that this seam or that one is a thread width '”OFF!” It’s not about the imperfections in ONE block by itself that a quilt should be judged or even viewed by. The quilt top needs to be viewed as a whole, from about 6 feet away in order to fully appreciate what each individual block does in playing its part in this symphony of fabric, color, contrast and design. Hand crafted does not, will not ever mean PERFECTION. The pursuit of excellence is worthy, the pursuit of perfection is INSANE. IMPOSSIBLE….."

You should see my last year's RRCB Mystery Quilt! There are many chopped of triangle tips! But you know what, when it is all put together, you really don't notice them. Everyone looks at the quilt as a whole, not each separate unit. And this year, my triangles look so much better!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM

I am so glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with those points! I have improved, but I still got a lot of room to grow. I am doing the best I can do and I'm proud of that
I've about decided to make this a lap quilt since I need one for myself anyway...and I do love this quilt.