Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Orca bay mystery picture thread >

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM

i look forward to seeing your quilt pics when posted. there were so many color combos i just know they will be exciting to see.

is there a general site where orca bay participiants posted their quilts? i would like to see some of the many from around the globe.

and alderdweller just so you know i have seen points off or mismatched seams in quilt mags & pics that were done by the "experts". you will get better at them with practice but as in life, we all have something asymmetrical about us so why shouldn't our quilts? i think every perceived "imperfection" we see in our quilts add individual personality and flair to that quilt and just like us no two are alike.

Last edited by Havplenty; 01-09-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 AM

This is the final post on Bonnie's site for all the progress everyone is making. There are some beautiful color combinations out there!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...-part-7-8.html
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 AM

You all might have no idea how completely thrilling it is to read through this thread and look at everyone's marvelous fabric combinations and watch as your camaraderie grows stronger. I was Oooohing and Ahhhing the whole way through and want to jump out of this chair and get started immediately!
As a newbie I had no idea what a mystery quilt was, or even (gasp! ) who Bonnie Hunter is. What a marvelous artist she is! Learning to make a quilt this way looks so fun and exciting. Though time and previous commitments prevents it now, this is a MUST DO for me in the future! I'm in love with this quilt and all the stunning versions you all have been working on. In fact i couldn't even pick who to take my inspiration from, they are all so great! Wonderful everyone!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM

buzzinbumble: If you'd like to do this quilt at a later date, be sure to print all her instructions for all the Parts 1-8, as Bonnie will be taking the instructions off her blog to make a book on April 30th. Here's the link to this Mystery Quilt in case you don't have it: Orca Bay Mystery Quilt.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
buzzinbumble: If you'd like to do this quilt at a later date, be sure to print all her instructions for all the Parts 1-8, as Bonnie will be taking the instructions off her blog to make a book on April 30th. Here's the link to this Mystery Quilt in case you don't have it: Orca Bay Mystery Quilt.
Thank you Karen! What a sweetie you are for making sure I knew!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 AM

Thought I would show you guys my progress. I have my wings half done (all 350 HSTs sewn on one side), as well as my red strings done. I have been able to put some time in as my DH is home for the weekend and was able to watch the little one. I also needed time to play on my new toy to make sure I wanted it. Obviously I love it! The only problem I am having with it is that it wants to suck in my squares everytime I start a new one. I will have to call my dealer and ask her I guess. I still need to set up a couple of learning classes too.
Attached Thumbnails photo-19-.jpg   photo-17-.jpg   photo-18-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
Thought I would show you guys my progress. I have my wings half done (all 350 HSTs sewn on one side), as well as my red strings done. I have been able to put some time in as my DH is home for the weekend and was able to watch the little one. I also needed time to play on my new toy to make sure I wanted it. Obviously I love it! The only problem I am having with it is that it wants to suck in my squares everytime I start a new one. I will have to call my dealer and ask her I guess. I still need to set up a couple of learning classes too.
Try a "leader" piece of fabric so those first edges don't get sucked down. Sometimes I use a small piece of paper as a leader. I have rolls of calculator paper that I use, just cout off a pieces as I need them. Put the leader under your presser foot and then butt the square or what ever small piece you are using up to the edge of the leader and start sewing. See if that helps.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:11 PM

I am halfway through sewing my rows together! I keep looking at the borders and I just don't like them. I think I am going to do a red inner border and some sort of solid black outer border. It is just too busy with the outer border to me. Is that bad? I have the outer border sewn but can't make myself put it on there as hard as I try to talk myself into it.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
I am halfway through sewing my rows together! I keep looking at the borders and I just don't like them. I think I am going to do a red inner border and some sort of solid black outer border. It is just too busy with the outer border to me. Is that bad? I have the outer border sewn but can't make myself put it on there as hard as I try to talk myself into it.
All of the quilts I have looked at are beautiful, but this is the reason I have not begun sewing the pieces together yet.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
Jan, this is YOUR quilt and you make it any way you want. If you cannot make yourself put that border on, then don't. Preview it with the other two colors and look at it for a while. See if that makes you happy!