Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Our Bentonsport Quilt Retreat was so much fun! >

Our Bentonsport Quilt Retreat was so much fun!

Our Bentonsport Quilt Retreat was so much fun!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Oh, thank you for sharing. Looks like a lovely place to stay!

We have many Menonites here & a couple of stores. One is such as you have described, the other is only fabrics, shoes and bonnets. I'm surprised they let you take their pictures.

Can't wait to see pics of what you all worked on!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Oh, thank you for sharing. Looks like a lovely place to stay!

We have many Menonites here & a couple of stores. One is such as you have described, the other is only fabrics, shoes and bonnets. I'm surprised they let you take their pictures.

Can't wait to see pics of what you all worked on!
I took pics of the Dutchman's store a few months ago and the gal behind the counter that day refused to let me take her picture. But these ladies were really pleasant and just fine with it. The lady that is at the end behind the counter knows me from my being down there alot. She and I have talked many times this summer. so I think that helped.

I taught how to make all of my shortcut "Blocks" and then they worked on making more of each one or they worked on something they brought. We didn't really make one specific project. I do have some ideas for the next retreat to change things up some so maybe this next one I will do things abit differantly. They all went home knowing how to make each of my "blocks" so they can use that knowledge to design and make their own quilt blocks into quilts. I also included some troubleshooting ideas and prevention tips.

Abby did take some pictures of all of us at the sewing tables. When we get those then I or Margaret (Quiltmom) will post them.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

My mom was raised just a few miles from there so I know the area pretty well. I think it is a beautiful place. I also sold some of my stuff in Greif's General Store a few years ago. It is only 30 mins from home for me.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 PM

Drat - wish IA wasn't so far from NY, lol!

I did go to IA once when I was in 4-H as part of an exchange program. First summer, my guest came here, then the next summer, I went there. Can't remember the name of the town; the farm I was on was way out in those famous cornfields. We did go to the state fair, and to Amana village.

Had a great time then, but it's too far to drive for a retreat. Heck, there are enough people from upstate/central/western NY here, we should get a retreat together!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Rhonda, it looks as if you have been busy too - what a great time. Will you post pics of what you did ?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

A very nice looking little town, don't think I would want to live there.
Your room was very interesting looking and the quilt on the bed is beautiful. Good for you and the others Ladies.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:26 PM

That looks like it was FUN! Thanks for sharing pics I felt like I was there! Looking forward to seeing projects you all did.......and where are the cookie jar pics? What kind of cookies were in them?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Here is the cookie jar on the dresser. Ours were mint Oreos.

Check in was not until 3pm. After everyone was there I took us all down to Cantril. A 15 min drive. Then they shopped until 6 pm and after that we went back to Keosauqua for supper at a Pizza and Steak House. Everyone enjoyed supper and my DH likes to tell stories of his growing up with his 7 brothers and his sister. He kept everyone in stitches.(pun intended!)

On Sat after breakfast we didn't actually do any projects. I had them learn to do all 8 of my "Blocks".
It took the rest of the morning to do 5 of the Blocks. These are my cut down method which you sew together swatches and then cut out a square from it resulting in a unit I call a "Block". so I walked them through making a Boston Block and after that a Kansas Dugout and then on to making a Star Point and so on. After a sandwich lunch everyone went sightseeing and looking in all the shops. It is an historical tourist area so there are a lot of signs telling the history of the buildings and so on.
Then we finished up the last 3 "Blocks" and after that some made more of the "Blocks" and some worked on stuff they brought from home. We ordered out and Sue and I went and picked it up. Then back to whatever each one wanted to work on.
I had suggested making 4 each of 4 of the Blocks and sewing them into a 4 patch and making a small sampler out of them.
But I left it up to each one to do what she was inclined to do.

My goal wasn't to send each one home with a project but to send them home with the skills to make the "Blocks" so they can make any quilt block they want and will understand how the process works.

Abby did a lot of experimenting with the Wings block and was inventing her own patterns as she played with them. I do hope she posts some pics of what she made.

I hope everyone had a good time. We really only had Sat to sew so everyone agreed next time I need to plan it for more days and organize it a little differantly.

Cookie Jar on the dresser
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90282[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90277.jpe  
Old 09-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Thanks for sharing, glad you had a great time. Pics are wonderful, I really enjoyed them.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Sounds like a fun day! I have looked at alot of your work and if I were closer I'd take a retreat to learn too, sounds like it was fun and thanks for sending a picture of the cookies!