Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
pattern error - which way to fix? >

pattern error - which way to fix?

pattern error - which way to fix?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 AM

I'd probably use them on pillows, unless I really needed the quilt bigger.

Great blocks!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 AM
MTS
Banned

Beautiful selection of fabrics.

While I dread bringing some math into this (as that conversation went so well :roll: on a prior thread), I'm looking at it a different way.

You have FIVE columns of FIVE blocks for a total of TWENTY FIVE full size blocks.
Then, you have THREE columns that include THREE blocks for a total of NINE full size blocks.

So far that brings the count to 34 full size blocks.

Regardless of what the directions say, the remaining blocks should NOT be cut in half.

I don't know the length of those blocks, but let's assume they are 12.5" UNFINISHED.
If you were to just cut them in half, you would get two 6.25" pieces.

Except you need 6.5" for an UNFINISHED half log.

So those additional six logs should be (should have been) measured and cut so there are SIX 6.5" UNFINISHED half blocks,
and the remaining SIX 6" half blocks are really for the trash or the back or whatever.
But they do not fit/belong on the front of the quilt.

Now, you've probably cut your blocks already, so it's a moot point.
And, although I haven't read them, it seems those are very poorly written directions.
The 40 blocks required is a good number (34 + 6), but obviously the way to use them was not clearly explained. :roll:
I hate when that happens.

You'll just have to work in that missing 1/4" on the even columns (not a big deal), and use the extra pieces for whatever you want.

But those batiks are so gorgeous no one is going to notice a missing 1/4". :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 AM

Beautiful quilt and colours... can you contact the designer and ask what the directions are suppoed to mean??

The pattern I found on http://www.gfcquilting.com/jelly-donuts.html has used 38 blocks from what I counted, it looks like there are some that are cut in half and stuck in here and there, so you could figure out how many to use that way or contact the deisigner and see what is supposed to be done...
Or you could go with what Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
and just make it whatever size you want, and either scrap those extra blocks or save them for another project or baking or a pillow.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 AM

I love pieced backs, especially with a scrap quilt, so I would come up with a way to use those extra blocks in a strip to gussy up the back. Somebody else suggested a pillow case, too. Good ideas. You chose the pattern as-is, so why not use it as-is? Is there a reason to have a bigger top?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 AM

Which adaptation - longer or wider - would fit where/how you want to use it the best?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 AM

I think they just have you make extra so you can play with the colour layout. I would use the extras and make a pillow to match since it's really only 2 blocks.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Put the extra in the borders!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 AM

Sounds like the author and the proof reader both goofed.You could make eight rows and make small adjustment to the cut blocks then it would all work out but not to her measurements. If she kept emphasizing 40 blocks then she obviously meant to have 8 rows across. If you bought this pattern you should ask for your money back.
BTW- Gorgeous quilt.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

it rather depends on what bed, if any, you'll be using the quilt on. if it will be a twin bed, i vote for the 58 X 82. if it is a throw, squarer is better. it looks really great.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Wow, that is so pretty! It is frustrating when there is a pattern error. If you are happy with the size it is now, you could take the extra blocks and use them on the back. I generally take a width of fabric, add a decorative row of another fabric or blocks of some sort, then another width of the backing. It adds interest to the back.
That would be my solution too. I love the design and the batiks. I want to make one of these some day.