Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
pattern error - which way to fix? >

pattern error - which way to fix?

pattern error - which way to fix?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 AM

I can't help you with your problem but WOW what a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree with MTS. If you just cut a block in half and add it to the end of a row, you will be short the seam allowance.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Beautiful selection of fabrics.

While I dread bringing some math into this (as that conversation went so well :roll: on a prior thread), I'm looking at it a different way.

You have FIVE columns of FIVE blocks for a total of TWENTY FIVE full size blocks.
Then, you have THREE columns that include THREE blocks for a total of NINE full size blocks.

So far that brings the count to 34 full size blocks.

Regardless of what the directions say, the remaining blocks should NOT be cut in half.

I don't know the length of those blocks, but let's assume they are 12.5" UNFINISHED.
If you were to just cut them in half, you would get two 6.25" pieces.

Except you need 6.5" for an UNFINISHED half log.

So those additional six logs should be (should have been) measured and cut so there are SIX 6.5" UNFINISHED half blocks,
and the remaining SIX 6" half blocks are really for the trash or the back or whatever.
But they do not fit/belong on the front of the quilt.

Now, you've probably cut your blocks already, so it's a moot point.
And, although I haven't read them, it seems those are very poorly written directions.
The 40 blocks required is a good number (34 + 6), but obviously the way to use them was not clearly explained. :roll:
I hate when that happens.

You'll just have to work in that missing 1/4" on the even columns (not a big deal), and use the extra pieces for whatever you want.

But those batiks are so gorgeous no one is going to notice a missing 1/4". :thumbup:
I was also thinking that when one cuts a full size block in half - one is lacking the seam allowances on the cut edges of those two halves/pieces.

MTS explained it well - the partial blocks should NOT be half blocks - they should be half the block PLUS 1/4 inch for the seam allowance. (The left over piece then would be too small to "work" in the quilt and would be considered "scrap" )
Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 AM

You could incorporate your extra blocks into the quilt back. Nice quilt. Love the fabrics.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:13 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by LaurieJane
I found a picture of the Jelly Donut pattern online, and the picture looks like there are 34 blocks - 4 columns of 5 blocks (20), and 3 columns of 4 (12) for a total of 32 full size blocks. It looks like the 3 columns each have a 1/2 block on the top and bottom, so that would mean you would make 3 blocks, and cut them in half so you have 6 - 1/2 size blocks. . . and therefore a total of 35 blocks.
Now that it's daylight, and I'm awake, I came back to revisit this.

My comment was based on the layout on your bed - so it makes quasi -sense in relation to that.

However, when I looked at the pattern this morning, http://www.gfcquilting.com/jelly-donuts.html which I should have done last night, and redid it in EQ), I think Laurie's right - the pattern writer (because ultimately it's her final call) screwed-up.

It's the only way to get to the 56x76 measurements (including the 2" and 6" borders) with 6"x12" rectangles.

Mind you, there is still the issue of the missing seam allowances for those 6 "half" blocks. But even if you did it by measuring the 6.5", that would only get you to 38 blocks. But, apparently the SA's just get ignored. :roll:

So you've got three choices :

A: make another 5 blocks so you can add two columns to the top (as pictured in the pattern diagram). That would bring the measurements to 54" x60" (excl borders) - you don't have to put the wide borders in the picture. You can even eliminate it completely if you wanted.

B:If you're not shooting for a particular size, put the extra 5 blocks on the back. You're going have to piece fabric for the back anyway (unless you're using wide backing).

C: Just add the extra 5 blocks on as another column and make the top asymmetrical

My choice would be A (if you have extra fabric) or B (if you don't).

Again, those batiks are so gorgeous, any of the choices will look spectacular.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.

Note to self - proofread everything if writing at 5AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

oh yes, on the back!!! you can use them there.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 AM

For me... longer is better, you can tuck your feet up in it, or you can use the length to tuck under the bed pillow
Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM

I'd go with option 64X76.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Okay - get ready for this - mark it on your calendars - but I GOOFED - Me - Myself - I. :(

The "half" blocks are not really halves. You cut them to 6 1/2" square - leaving a 6 inch leftover that will not be used in the quilt. THAT'S how the numbers work out.

I'll still have a few orphan-ettes I can use on the back, a pillow, or wherever.

MTS - you're the one that got me revisiting the numbers - and my ASSUMPTION that the cutting was in HALF. Fortunately my half blocks are folded under - not cut. WHEW!!!!

Thanks everyone - now to go play with my blocks.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by JanTx
Fortunately my half blocks are folded under - not cut. WHEW!!!!
That is excellent news!

So just to satisfy my morbid curiosity:

There are 32 full blocks (4 columns of 5 blocks plus 3 columns of 4 blocks) and the 6 blocks that will be cut down in size.

The pattern calls for 40 blocks, but 2 are left over - maybe the extras are to give some flexibility in color placement.

And is this correct - each Pop strip was cut
2 x 6.5"
2 x 8.5"
1 x 8.5"
with a leftover piece around 4"-6"?

I don't ever buy jelly rolls/pops, but I I could easily cut my own strips as it's such an easy and great looking pattern. Key word is easy.

Thanks.