Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A photo, finally!

YOU WIN! I give up. I counted the squares. 1,746 of 'em, but it sure felt like thousands at the time! The quilt finished at 77 x 90. The next top I've got ready to baste and quilt is a 90" square Hawaiian design...guess I'll send a picture of that when I finish, in like maybe a couple of years! Thanks for all your laughter and compliments, you're all a great bunch!

Your quilt is beautiful. I hope someday I'll have enough talent and wisdom to do something like that. For now I guess I'll stick to the simple easy ones.

whew!!!! that's alotta little pieces

The best part was when I finished the last stitch, when my hands were sore and I was grumping about how I'd NEVER attempt anything like this again. I washed the quilt on gentle cycle and let it tumble in the dryer...and when I took it out of the dryer it was so soft and warm and crinkled I just wrapped myself up in it, it was like being 5 years old again and having Grandma give me her biggest hug. There's nothing like a quilt. They're magical.

Boo
    Okay, just off the top of my head, I'll guess 1,746 pieces. Let me know if I win.
    You already have a hawaiian top appliqued? What is the pattern? Did you tell me this before? I really am thinking of just jumping into that big one right away. Let me ask you, do you do the applique basting 1/2" from the edge or do you use the Roxanne glue baste? One of my patterns suggests using that glue baste stuff, but I am thinking it would be hard to control. Have you used it?

Boo, you're amazingly smart! I think you came REAL close to the number of squares, unfortunatly(?sp?) you went over the time limit, better luck next time!!!!

Kathy, you're as sharp as a #10 John James applique needle fresh out of the package! :lol:

Boo
    I was robbed! :x

Wow, your quilt is gorgeous...all those teeny, tiny squares! I don't think I have the patience to tackle something so intense. I sorta like the "bigger" piece blocks...Drunkards Path is good. :) :) I'd guess there must be about 3,000 little squares, AT LEAST!

Thanks for sharing.
    Randy

Leslie, your quilt is absolutely beautiful!!!! What a wonderful way to combine to different methods of quilting. I must admit I can't even imagine sewing all those 1" squares together....never mind cutting them out!

Great job!!!

Judyjo

But really, judyjo--the bitsy squares were the easy part! It was the applique that drove me half nutz. But I still have the book I got the pattern out of, and I'm thinking of doing a wallhanging just like in the book this time. So I guess I never learned my lesson! :D

And Randy, I'd love to try the Drunkard's Path pattern but I end up with wonky wobbles instead of nice crisp circle edges. I need lotsa practice!

joy
    Leslee..... just found your photo.... the quilt is so beautiful.... well done.
    Joy.

Beautiful, just beautiful!! I'm going to make a wild guess that there's 600 little squares. I'm thinking this is the quilt for me, then I think again, that's a lot of squares to begin now and finish by May. One of my favorite neices chose a quilt to be made by her favorite Auntie over cash now I have to get busy, eh?

Did you machine quilt it?

Quilting is great isn't it?

The Quilt is beautiful, but now I will never be able to let go of a one inch square piece of material with out thinking of the quilt I am throughing away.

I won't be able to throw away any scraps either, sorry english was not my best subject in school.

OK, now I want to know how many squares there are! Come on tell us before we die of curosity! :P

1,746 the answer was on page 2

Leslee, I've finally connected your name to this quilt. tee-hee. I'm just a tad slow on the uptake here. Just blown away! Wow! I've been admiring this quilt for several weeks now and just love it. It's amazing what one can do with those little bits of fabric and you did it so well.
    B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

You are certainly a master quilter! Looking forward to more postings from you.
    Yvonne

Yup, that's me--lover of all quilt styles, master of none! :wink: Most of the patchworks I've done over the years have been given as gifts. I've kept this one because all the fabrics in it are from 3 decades of what I've picked up in my travels. Then after hand-quilting the entire thing I guess I couldn't part with it!

Was there a rymthm and reason for how you placed the 1" squares? I am really interested to know. I have all these small pieces left over from other quilts and now I know what to make with them just not sure how to place them.

A newbie looking for ideals! :roll:

Heck, no! I started by chain-piecing block after block until I had dozens of the little things sewn together. Then the rows got stitched together. I guess I consider it a minor miracle that no 2 of the same squares ended up that close to each other! I probably used 400 fabrics, which helped. The squares finished to about 1"...they were close to 1 1/2 inch to allow for the seams. Truly was a great way to use up scraps!

Hi Peachrose and Leslee:
    Another way to make the squares (I think my quilt teacher calls it a "speed method") is to sew long strips of left over fabric together then cut across the different fabric strips in 1 or 2 or 3 ???? inch segments so you end up with all the different fabrics sewn into the block/quilt without having to make individual seams for each and every piece of the 400 + fabrics you use from your stash. I'll attach a picture of a quilt I finished for a friend who used this method and it worked great. In the picture it shows colors: white, tiny flowered rose, plain pink and dark navy rose pattern. She sewed strips of each of these colors together then cross cut. Your fabric strips can be short, long, medium and they can be placed as randomly as you wish to make them. This is EASY, fun, you get a spectacular "finish" and it used up a whole box of scraps!

Good luck and good sewing,
    Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy
    VERY VERY PRETTY< NICE JOB

Love those colors! Beautiful...just beautiful.

Beautiful quilt, Randy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast