Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A photo, finally!

Thank you all. It was a fun quilt to make.

I'm now working on a bow tie quilt that I'm doing using all my scraps. I haven't decided if I'll give it to our foster care kidlettes or if I'll put a flannel backing on it and keep it for me to cuddle in while watching TV. It's been so bitterly cold here I'm torn ...should I keep warm or should I let a little kid be warm???? I'll probably give it away. I love scrappy quilts!

Randy

SCRAPPY QUILTS, Randy....I want to begin one in the next week or so. Any hints that you can pass on?? I have two focus fabrics (porcelain dolls and music) that I want to build the other scrappy materials around. Any scrappy ideas that has a larger square involved so the focus fabric can be readily recognized??

Me again...does anyone have a site(s) I can go to to look for prints with porcelain dolls on them?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rainbow:
    The scrappy quilt I'm currently working on is a "Mini bow tie" with 3 1/2 inch blocks for the tie. Size of the finished block is 6 inches which might work to highlight your focus fabric. I got the pattern from www.quilterscache.com/M/MiniBowTieBlock.html. . I'll attache a picture of the bow tie I'm working on just to give you an idea of how you might use your own fabric.

A 9-patch block may also be something that you could use to highlight your focus fabric.

I've never done a "fussy cut" quilt but understand they are easy and wonderful. Maybe find a pattern that lends itself well to a fussy cut application for your focus fabric. For those who might not know what fussy cut is, it's where you cut your fabric very carefully to highlight a particular motif in the fabric. Maybe you have fabric with dogs on it, fussy cut it so each block has a dog. Usually fabric prints repeat themselves throughout the length of the bolt so you have to remember when you do a fussy cut to get enough fabric to get the number of fussy blocks you want for your quilt. By fussy cutting you use MORE fabric than normal but the leftovers work great in "scrappy."

I hope this helps you a bit. Check out quilterscache site. It's my favorite and I can always find something of interest. When you go to the site, make sure to click on the last page where Marsha has included "Lucy's block" or "Dressa's block" which are pictures that quilters have submitted with their particular block...I get some great ideas looking at other people's work and by seeing the block or quilt made up. I'm so visual I need pictures!
    Good luck and keep on quilting,
    Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy, THANKS for the info and for the WONDERFUL PICTURE !!! I am completing my sewing for my granddaughter on her American Doll clothes - and then want to begin my scrappy. Never done one before and look forward to this. MAYBE, just maybe I can clean out my bits and pieces in my sewing closet.

Thanks again for your information. Planning on going to www.quilterscache.com now.

Rainbow

Beautiful just BEAUTIFUL!!

I just finished this pattern for a baby quilt for a friend at work. She loved it!!! It was a real easy pattern to work with. I used up some scraps for this quilt and it turned out very pretty.

Randy,
    That is one gorgeous quilt! It's great!
    Thanks for sharing!

alright.. looks like we have a contest.. how many squares are in that quilt... I say... 1500 pieces... Any comers...Hey it is gonna be fun... !!!
    Sharon

beautiful quilt love the colors

A truely lovely quilt.What beautiful work. :)

Great Quilt. I love it.

A truely lovely quilt. :)

Hi Rainbow:
    Did you have time to check out Quilterscache.com website? I hope you did as it's such a great site and a place where you can find a quilt pattern for anything you could ever possibly want to make in almost any size that you want. It's my favorite place to hangout on the internet.

Randy

Blog Entries
    Very Very Beautiful! Such Talent. I have not tried applique yet, but I love the way you did the outside from the applique with all those squares! Great job!
    SandyGail

Blog Entries
    That is STUNNING! I simply envy the talent and patience of people like you!
    Someday, when I "grow up" I may just be able to create something like that! :lol:

This one screams WORK! :lol: Pretty!

Yes, Randy...but I want FABRIC with the porcelain/Victorian doll prints on them.

Enjoy these comments....

Hi Rainbow:
    Ahhhhh! Fabric WITH porcelain doll motifs. I have a couple fun fabric links that I visit frequently and you might be able to find what you want at one of them.

www.fabric.com
    www.moda.com
    www.michaelmillerfabric.com
    www.phillipsfiberart.com
    www.shabbyfabric.com

Happy hunting...quilting...
    Randy

Thank you !! Thank you !!! Thank you !!!

uhn, why do we beginner quilters often start with so many little blocks! I did the same thing on my first quilt - all littel 2" blocks FOR A KING SIZE BED!

Hi Sandra:
    Boy! You are absolutely right...seems like new quilters do take the "tiny block" route! I'm fairly new at quilting and that's the first thing I take a look at ....block size and ask myself "do you really want to do 5,893 of these?" I'm now more into Drunkard's path and Desden Plate blocks!

By the way, I love your hairy green caricature holding the coffee cup which appears below your name...she reminds me of me every morning as I come out of the kitchen with my first cup. Cute! It makes me laugh.

Keep on sewing!
    Randy

Tried all these, Randy. THANKS for the web sites. The best I could get from one of them is to send in a sqatch of what I want. That is probably my next step. THANKS AGAIN.

My goodness what a beautiful quilt!!!

Leslee, Your quilt is beautiful. Keep up the good work, you give encouragement!!!!!! Greetings to all. wolle2 :D :roll:

Blog Entries
    Absolutely Beautiful! You must be very proud. Great job! :D :lol: :wink:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast