Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pic of 1st attempt Paper Piecing CALLED SUNRISE

So beautiful Elle. The colors are great.

I can be in Dallas in 5 or 6 hours!!!! I will be waiting!!!!!!! :wink: [/quote]

Melissa, 5 or 6 hours heh that is cool, well will take me 12 hours flying time from England, but I got to get to London to fly to Dallas so thats another 3 hours, You got it easy girl, at that rate you will be waiting on me. :lol:

Well forget what I told you about the name of it its called SUNRISE and its a design by CAROL DOAK. Book: Mariners Compass Stars by Carol Doak.

Okay I have had a search on the web and found this one place in Tennessee that holds loads of classes.

http.www.mountainquiltfest.com/descriptions.asp

Unfortunately the classes were for March, but I am sure if you phone them they will have loads more. Phone 1-800-251-9100 or (865) 453-8574

Email: [email protected] for info on classes

Elle :D :D

Sure doesn't look like a first attempt to me!!! The colors are wonderful!

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltinsolitude
    There was a design recently in a quilt magazine that I sooooo wanted to do - so I got out some scraps and followed the directions and all - it's true that the points come out beautifully, but the process is not for me! Soooo much wasted fabric, and in the back of my miserly little mind is the thought that if paper dulls my scissors, what is it doing to my needle??? (like there will never be another needle, right?)

I will continue, however, to admire the results and encourage those of you who are loving the process! :D
    Elle - Hope you don't mind me muscling in here...but I wanted to share a tip on how to paper piece and NOT waste fabric!!

1. Lay fabric for piece one down wrong side up.
    2. Lay the pattern over the top, ensuring there is adequate fabric extending beyond all edges by at least 1/4"
    3. Place a ruler along the first side, then flip the pattern up and over the ruler being careful not to move it, exposing the fabric.
    4. Butt up tight against the ruler a second 1/4" 'add-on' ruler - then draw your line. (This is your seam allowance)
    5. Very carefully lay the pattern back down.
    6. Now repeat on each side of Piece one.

You now have an identical copy of the pattern but with 1/4" seam allowance added.

Repeat with each part of the foundation pattern.
    If you layer up your fabric you can cut multiples at the same time, as alot of patterns are symetrical and usually are made up of four identical blocks, as Elle's is. :D

If you take your time at this stage - then all you have to do is match up the edges of the fabric, making sure if it is on the diagonal that you have it centred correctly!!

Tah dah - Now I figured that out as I am very frugal with fabric!!!!
    Plus found it so much easier in placing the fabric in the correct position :D

Is that as clear as mud...if you would like a photo tute....then just shout!!!! :lol: :lol: ...........I can already hear you folks tee hee!!!!

OK I'M SHOUTING.........I would love to have a photo tute. I've always wanted to try pp but am scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Here is a picture of our Group tutorial result on paper piecing. I really enjoyed this one ...WHEN.... I got the hang of it. :oops: The penny didnīt drop at first but then got the hang of the concept. Have decided to make this the centre of my next quilt (donīt laugh just another WIP, I have 2 others at the mo). :lol: :lol:

Elle
    I love to paper piece, I am glad you tried it. My first attempt was not as much fun until I had a friend help me and told me about using muslin insteade of paper for the pattern. Now I use the muslin backing almost all the time but do use the paper when I am making the greeting cards or postcards.

Thanks, Izy - that made more sense than the magazine instructions I followed, which called for cutting all these rectangles and trimming the excess after sewing . . .which left a whole lot of itty-bitty oddly shaped triangles that I would never have the patience to make into anything except maybe stuffing for the cat bed :lol:

I think the flight to Dallas is only a couple of hours. When do we meet? I have a free companion ticket, I'll bring my sister, she loves to quilt too.

I have read and listened to paper piecing directions.......need the lesson..you did a great job......you'll be able to do such pretty stuff :D

Elle...that is really pretty, but I didn't expect anything less from you. Everything I have seen you do is very pretty.

Purple....try a few of the EASY blocks in PP. You'll get the hang of it. It's actually pretty easy. Like I say....if I can do it, ANYONE can!

That is so pretty I'm still having trouble with pp but getting better. Love to try that pattern

[
    I love to paper piece, I am glad you tried it. My first attempt was not as much fun until I had a friend help me and told me about using muslin insteade of paper for the pattern. Now I use the muslin backing almost all the time but do use the paper when I am making the greeting cards or postcards. [/quote]

Thats a good idea. That was the only thing that I didnīt like having to pull the paper off the back when I had made it. You donīt have to take the paper off if you are making a wall hanging, but you do if like me you want to make a quilt.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    I think the flight to Dallas is only a couple of hours. When do we meet? I have a free companion ticket, I'll bring my sister, she loves to quilt too.
    Wow that would be really lovely to meet all you gals :D . If only, if only.
    Not only is the Euro not doing well against the Pound but the good old Government has decided in their wisdom to abolish the lowest tax rate, which now means everyone has to pay 20% tax now instead of 10% tax, :( so on my measily pension they now take off 52.50 GBP where it used to be 32.50. :cry: Ooooops sorry on my high horse again.

Back to business. :D ...

Terri, Thank you. Think I will have to a do a photo Tute.
    By the time I save up enough to come out to Dallas I will be old and grey.......whats the matter with me..... all I can say good job I can dye my hair :lol: :lol:
    And everything is going south.....who was it said "grow old gracefully" how the heck can you do that when everything is stacked against you.

No, joking apart I am healthy and I thank the Lord for that.

:D

WOW! That is very striking on the black! Your points are so perfect, it's just beautiful!

Elle, this is one of the best blocks I have seen, every thing about it is wonderful, this will make a beautiful quilt. Keep the good work up.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy
    Elle, this is one of the best blocks I have seen, every thing about it is wonderful, this will make a beautiful quilt. Keep the good work up.
    Thanks Jazzy, will post pictures when I get a bit more done. :D :D

Elle

What a wonderful way to meet new quilting friends, and here you are from Spain . Can you tell me where the pattern came from I think I would like to try to make at least one. the only paper pieceing I have done is with the half sqs . I have been teaching my two sisters how to make quilts online and I have a friend of mine that has been coming over every Sunday and I am teaching her. :D

I am not sure how to go about putting a picture up on this site. :lol:

Have a wonderful day....Clara

This quilt is called Bright Hopes
    Name:  Attachment-12859.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  75.3 KB

Hi Jazzy, Heh what a beautiful quilt, that is just gorgeous. I love your colour combo :D

If you look back on this post you will find out that it is one of Carol Doakīs patterns called Sunrise and it is in her book of patterns.

If you canīt find it let me know and I can PM (Private Message) you with details. okay Elle

Izy
    Elle - Did you know Carol Doak has a yahoo quilting group you can join, I got involved last year through Rachel, and there are lots of instructions and lovely free patterns to download......just thought you might fancy starting something else to keep all your other ufo's company tee hee!!!!!!!!!!!

http://[email protected]

Have a look, you don't have to join to get the freebies!!!

Izy thanks for that I will certainly have a look. Have had a prob tonight with the computer, but it seems to be okay now.

Good day today at the club, not many there, will PM you with what is for next week, canīt say much at the mo.

Got stuck in with the quilting and practiced for ages. Then realised I didnīt have the ruddy feed dogs down so was making it so much more difficult. Once that penny dropped I suddenly found things happening and then I found a design that worked for me, quite a simple one. So all in all pleased with my efforts, although far from perfect.

Elle.

Izy
    Elle.....this is a journey, and on the way we may wander...sometimes its the right way and sometimes not....oh dear I have getting very deep, what I am trying to say is you got to start SOMEWHERE, and eventually you will find your 'place' and it will feel right!! Just keep going.....!! :D

Practice, practice , and more practice..... Elle

Blog Entries
    I love it. It is spectacular. Wish someone would show me how to paper piece. I know it has to be complicated to turn something out that pretty. Love it Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I love it. It is spectacular. Wish someone would show me how to paper piece. I know it has to be complicated to turn something out that pretty. Love it Keep up the good work.
    Its not complicated, you do I think need someone to show you how, Carol Doakīs book and also on line you can see how it is done. Hope you try it, really is worth that little effort to get started.

Nice to meet you. Elle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast