Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pictures of Deaf grandmother's quilt >

Pictures of Deaf grandmother's quilt

Pictures of Deaf grandmother's quilt

Old 12-24-2013, 07:18 AM

So beautiful! It's amazing to think of what our ancestors went through. I've always said if it had been up to me to settle the west, we'd all still be living on the east coast.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:07 PM

You are extremely lucky to have such a beautiful old momento. Take good care of it. Thanks for sharing the story
Old 12-25-2013, 09:15 AM

wow gorgeous..what a beautiful quilt. I am a nurse and I bet she developed a severe staph infection that traveled to her brain. God bless her soul.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 AM

This is a fabulous heirloom! I don't know how to preserve old quilits, but you probably could research it. There are collections of old quilts in some universities and museums. If you don't have anyone in your family who you can pass it down to, you might consider sending it to one of these collections where it would be preserved for future generations to enjoy.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

a beautiful treasure
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt and a wonderful story to go with it....I know you cherish it....
Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Right side up pic of deaf Grandmother's quilt with back story

Probably when my deaf Grandmother was in boarding school, she made this quilt. It is all hand sewn and hand quilted. Before she married my deaf Grandfather, her brother died and left her as beneficiary to his will. She received $800 and spent it all on a tall, ornate, beautiful Mahogany Sweetland Chicago Conservatory Grand piano. She lived in Canyon City, Oregon and they had to bring the piano by wagon to town. In letters from relatives, they wrote how it was the talk of the town for weeks to come. She couldn't hear any sounds, but she could feel the vibrations. She left the piano to my mother, who, when she turned 18, moved to LA and played piano for Robert Alda, father of Alan Alda. Robert was famous for singing and acting. My mother played for him for a few years. I have had the piano since I was 26.

Back to the main story. When my Grandmother had two little girls, she lived on a farm and cut her arm on wire fencing and her temperature climbed to 108 degrees. She was never the same. Her husband was told to put her in an insane asylum, which he did. I use to go see her on Mother's Day and other holidays with my Mom and little brother when I was young. Later on, when my Grandmother was in her 60s, my Aunt moved her to a nursing home and would play checkers with her and sign with her. She wasn't as bad as they made her out to be. So sad.

Here is the only quilt I know of that she made. It's right side up, thanks to friendly suggestions. I was sent to a website that had this same quilt, an antique, and it is exactly like this. I thought she had made many mistakes, but the other quilt looked exactly like this!! Thanks to whomever sent me there. Okay, here's the quilt right side up!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 AM

That's such a pretty quilt. Such a sad story about your grandmother though. At least you were still able to get to know her!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:41 AM

Lovely quilt......... part of your family history..........what a treasure.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:51 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. and wonderful story about your GM.