Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pillows to add beauty to a deck/ patio. >

Pillows to add beauty to a deck/ patio.

Pillows to add beauty to a deck/ patio.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Great Picture! I know you have found these pillows to be popular...now how about a Quilt saying on one pillow? Quilt Happy., Sew Blessed to name a few..and so many more.
Thanks for sharing!
This is a great idea, thanks. I will keep that in mind for indoor pillows for this fall and Christmas time. That would make a great Christmas gift for a quilter and would look cute in a quilt room or quilters home when quilters tend to be inside and at their sewing machines. Thanks again for the idea, I really like it.

Since Maine is titled "Vacationland" I am targeting tourism and also since Maine has such a short summer season, I am focused on outdoors currently. And with the Covid restrictions, Maine has been super busy last summer in our area, and the forecast is for another busy summer in our area. I grew up living near Moosehead Lake, and I currently live 30 miles south of it, last summer was a record breaking season for many of the businesses that depend on tourism in it's area, and that is where I am going to be in two shops this summer. One shop will be selling the pillows I posted, and the other shop I am going to be selling jelly roll rugs in. Looks to be a busy sewing summer.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:18 AM

Those are so nice. Do you just buy fabric with those words on?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:45 AM

Love your pillows and good luck in selling them.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:08 AM

Cute Pillows! I'm planning on making a few for my patio furniture also. Can you tell me what kind of stuffing you used?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:58 PM

THank you all so much for checking out the pillows and inquiring. I inquired on here about outdoor fabric, and it was suggested to check Hobby Lobby. Their outdoor fabric is wonderful. I did my homework, and their UVA/UVB protection is the same as Sunbrella, and both are water resistant. But Hobby Lobby outdoor fabric is WAY less expensive. I only buy it when they are having one of their 30% off sales, it runs $12-16 when on sale a yard, and it's 54 inches wide. So I am happy with the price, the product, and the outcome when sewing with it.

All the pillows are stencilled on. I use Pro-chemical pearlized fabric pain. I first found out about Pro-Chemical as they are a vendor at the Maine state quilt show. I really like it and it's washable which means it's waterproof for outdoor use. You do have to heat set it, which I follow their directions and use my iron.

I use 100% polyester filling, I am using poly-fil actually. I also did my homework on this too, and everything I read said for outdoor furniture, use 100% polyester.

I also treat the back of the pillows as I use duck cloth or home decor fabric for the backs, I spray them with Scotchguard water and sun shield, I buy mine at Lowe's. It is also available on Amazon.

Hope I've addressed all questions. They are fun to make, and I can attest, that so far, all the pillows I have made sell very well.