Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Post Photos Of Your Grandmother’s Sewing Machine? >

Post Photos Of Your Grandmother’s Sewing Machine?

Post Photos Of Your Grandmother’s Sewing Machine?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Every once in a while, some of us get lucky enough to take ownership of our Grandmother’s sewing machine. Others have fond memories, even if they don’t have the actual machine. That’s ok, there’s room for all of us here. If you didn’t end up with her machine, simply describe your memories of it.

I have both of only two that my one Grandmother ever had (the other Grandmother had a Singer treadle that accompanied her to the Rest Home back in the 60s, but I don’t know what ever happened to it). Of the two that I have, I don’t recall seeing either of them in her home. Maybe they were in a bedroom where kids were not allowed or something? I DO recall her Singer Card table, minus the machine, at several potluck dinners that the family had over the years. The kids all had to set at the card table, positioned strategically in the middle of everything so the Mom’s could keep track of us. As with all kids, things got spilled, and I’m sure that I’m responsible for at least one of the stains on the table surface.

CD in Oklahoma

Grandma got this White VS3 (used) for a wedding present in 1928
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227927[/ATTACH]

Grandma's New Machine - Singer 404
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227928[/ATTACH]

Singer Card Table - #316 Monterey Utility Table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227929[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227921.jpe   attachment-227922.jpe   attachment-227923.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Both my grandmothers sewed. One did alterations at a large department store in Pittsburg, PA. My dad grew up in North Braddock, a suburb of Pittsburg.

My mother's mother had an industrial machine in the basement and did upholstry. I never saw the machine, but my mom said she fooled with it one time and ran the needle through her finger!

My Mom taught me to sew on her Singer 66. I think my youngest sister has it in storage. I learned to make my own clothes, but didn't take up quilting until much later in life. Wish I could show you pictures, but don't have any!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:09 PM

My 1 Grandmother died before I was born. The other 1 sewed and made quilts but I don't recall ever seeing her machine. I have no clue what it was.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Only one of my grandmothers sewed a little bit and my sister has her machine, not really that old though. Don't have any pics to share but will enjoy seeing everyone else's.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 PM

My Grandmother collected the scraps from the clothes Mom would make us and made them into quilts. Now we look at the quilts and say "that was my dress, bathrobe, peddle pushers, etc. She quilted the entire quilt by hand from start to finish. I sure wish they were still here...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Actually, it's my dad's memory: My grandmother's first electric came from Montgomery Ward in the 1930s. She taught all of the 4-H girls in the neighborhood to sew with it. Don't know if this was the same machine that she had when I was growing up. I remember one in the diningroom. She sewed most of my clothes for high school and college on it-she loved to sew wool. I had a lot of nice woolen skirts-wish I'd kept them!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:00 PM

This was my grandmas machine it was a treadle that I played with as a child but she had it converted to electric. I have not had a chance to use it yet though.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227942.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM

I never got to know my dad's mom, and my mom's mother wouldn't have sewing if her life depended on it! :lol:

I know that my great grandmothers both sewed, but have no idea what might have happened to either of their machines... I do have a sewing kit that belonged to Nonnie...
Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Lucky you to have 2 machines that belonged to your grandmother. This is Grandma Mabel's treadle. I don't know it's history as she lived on the Prairies. It spent quite some time in a barn. I haven't got it running yet but hope to this winter.

Grandma Mabel's Singer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227954[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227948.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 PM

My grandmother had a beautiful treadle and then a black Singer e machine in the same spot in her dining room. I have no idea where they are now, but I did sew on both of them. Grandma did her quilts totally by hand. One year as we left from our annual visit, we bought her fabric for two dresses. Came back a year later and the fabric was still in the drawer though she had completed several quilts. I offered to make the dresses. I was probably twelve at the time, but she let me. I honestly preferred the e machine to the treadle. I have recently purchased a treadle and a 1952 e machine, but they are nothing like hers.