Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
potholders >

potholders

potholders

Old 06-04-2009, 05:32 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow! my log cabin potholders have lasted 30 years ! I used terry cloth bath towel for filler.

These are really nice looking !! Great job on the small squares and triangles!

Ell
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

very very nice work :D
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 AM

I think I've been inspired! I'm going to make some for me and some more for presents for friends through the year! :D
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 AM

Very nice, great colors, good job!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 AM

Eddie, these are beautiful. Did you sew that binding on by hand, or machine?

I have avoided making any of these so far, because I just hate hand-sewing binding on. I do it on my quilts because they seem to "deserve" it, but I would have to do something quicker on potholders.

Yours have turned out lovely. Nice Job!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Originally Posted by Loretta
Do you know about Insulbrite? I buy it at Walmart for 1.50 a yard or so- and it makes heat proof pot holders. I also use it for place mats and table hot pad holders. (I like the towel batting as well!)
Thanks for this info! I'll check my local WM and see if they have any. I bought the charm packs to make my MIL and mother their potholders for Christmas yesterday, so will be getting started on them soon. I'll see if I can get some Insulbrite to put in them as well.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by motomom
Eddie, these are beautiful. Did you sew that binding on by hand, or machine?

I have avoided making any of these so far, because I just hate hand-sewing binding on. I do it on my quilts because they seem to "deserve" it, but I would have to do something quicker on potholders.

Yours have turned out lovely. Nice Job!
I did the binding on my machine. I stiched it on the top of the potholder with the binding facing inwards and then wrapped the binding around the edge and stiched in the ditch so that it just catches the edge of the binding on the back. I saw the method in one my quilt books and it really was a lot easier than it sounds and looks nice, too.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 AM

Your topper and placemats turned out beautiful! Thanks for the link to that thread.

BTW, we're going to Ireland next month in July for a couple of weeks and driving around the west, sw, and central parts. Should be fun!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
Ohhh Cool BEANS!! Those are way cool! I love that you reclaimed another material for the batting. My favorite to reclaim is the thicker cotton baby blankets (the ones that look almost like thick felt, gently used of course). A couple layers for hot pads...and a couple extra for pot holders. The fabric is already fire resistant because it was for infants. My other favorite is old ironing board covers. I discard the top and the bottom fabrics of the cover, and use the thick batting stuff inside, also already heat resisitant.
JBSSTRAWBERRY: Your quote states "Blessed are the crackef for the shall let in the light!" You have made all of us think more about recycling. I'll be using your recommendations in the future. Thank you.

Eddie: I have the potholder book you speak of and have made many potholders but mine are showing up slightly INFERIOR to yours. Good job! Your star points are great, colors are great, everything is square and your binding looks like you've done it for years...these are all things my potholders LACKED. :cry: :oops: :lol: Thanks for sharing your nice work.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:37 AM

Very nice!! Did you use 1 layer of the towel? If you used more than 1, did you have any trouble quilting it?