Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Family Tree Quilted Wall Hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/family-tree-quilted-wall-hanging-t20027.html)

raksmum 05-18-2009 08:10 PM

wow, that is gorgeous. Great job! It looks like you embroidered the names on. Just wondering, did you do this by hand or machine. If you did it by machine did you do it after the leaves, etc. were already on or did you do them before and then attach the leaves.

Bevanger 05-19-2009 06:18 AM

What a cool idea. I really like it. GREAT JOB!

jdavis 05-19-2009 06:24 AM

wow, that is gorgeous. Great job! It looks like you embroidered the names on. Just wondering, did you do this by hand or machine. If you did it by machine did you do it after the leaves, etc. were already on or did you do them before and then attach the leaves.
raksmum & Bevanger,

Thank you.
I hand embroidered all of the names. The leaves are too small to have used anything fancier than a simple backstitch. I embroidered everything on the leaf fabric first, so I could use the hoop, then cut the leaves out and appliqued onto the background fabric. About midway through the project I read about some better applique techniques; now of course I wish I had done it differently.

gcathie 05-19-2009 06:27 AM

My what a work of art....totally awesome!...:-)

jdavis 05-19-2009 06:32 AM

gcathie,

Thanks to you, too!

I still haven't heard if anyone else on this board has made their own family tree!

mamatobugboo 05-19-2009 07:02 AM

i have NOT made a family tree quilt, but your's really has inspired me - except for that whole hand embroidery thing - SCARY!

It truly is beautiful!

jdavis 05-19-2009 10:35 AM

i have NOT made a family tree quilt, but your's really has inspired me - except for that whole hand embroidery thing - SCARY!

It truly is beautiful!
mamatobugboo,
Thank you for the compliment.
Are you one of the lucky ladies with a sewing machine that does embroidery? That would sure open up possibilities for this type of project. On the other hand, I think my family will appreciate the hand work...it makes it more personal -- more of an heirloom.

cutebuns 05-19-2009 10:51 AM

The quilt is beautiful. I am not so much into hand work so it would be done by machine if I were to do one.

My mom did a family tree quilt, only she didn't use a tree for it. She used a rainbow, Grandma and grandpa were on the bottom and each generation went up a color, and the higher the color the bigger it is to accomidate the extra people. She put pictures of everyone on with dates that she printed off on her computer. She origionally did it for my grandfather that was having a hard time keeping the hords of people straight, nothing seemed easy for him after he lost his site, especially when trying to tell other people. She is in the process of updating it now. There has been several additions since she first did it. I don't have a picture of it. But sure she will take one when she is done.

pennyswings 05-19-2009 10:55 AM

What a beautiful way to remember the generations of your family. Really lovely quilt.

jdavis 05-19-2009 10:58 AM

The quilt is beautiful. I am not so much into hand work so it would be done by machine if I were to do one.

My mom did a family tree quilt, only she didn't use a tree for it. She used a rainbow, Grandma and grandpa were on the bottom and each generation went up a color, and the higher the color the bigger it is to accomidate the extra people. She put pictures of everyone on with dates that she printed off on her computer. She origionally did it for my grandfather that was having a hard time keeping the hords of people straight, nothing seemed easy for him after he lost his site, especially when trying to tell other people. She is in the process of updating it now. There has been several additions since she first did it. I don't have a picture of it. But sure she will take one when she is done.
cutebuns,
Please do post a picture when you can...the rainbow idea is something I never would have thought of. Is it a full size quilt?